What does this mean?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
In the news section, it says on the subject of the iPhone 7 "The (current) 3.5mm analogue port can only support up to CD-quality sound".

What in the name of fruit does that mean??

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Petherick said:
In the news section, it says on the subject of the iPhone 7 "The (current) 3.5mm analogue port can only support up to CD-quality sound".

A good question, but assuming it makes any sort of sense, since we can only hear "up to CD-quality" then the current port is all that is required (unless you are using it to play things to your pet bat).

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Petherick said:

Onkyo seems to think otherwise

To suggest that it's a limitation of the 3.5mm headphone jack is arrant tosh, since it's an analogue output, and will thus pass whatever it's fed by the phone's DAC and output stage. If there is a limitation, it'll be in the internal DAC, or in the file-handling capability of the device.

Or is the socket really limited to CD-quality? Does that mean that, since as hammill suggests that's all we can hear, the likes of Chord, Sony, LG, Samsung, Fiio, Astell&Kern, Meridian and the rest have been lying to us when they tell us their devices will decode anything up to DSD and pass it out through that apparently a bit rubbish 3.5mm analogue socket? Perhaps WHF would like to do an exposé of how all those brands have misled us for all these years, and how only Apple can save us?

Either that, or it's "National Insult The Reader's Intelligence Week", and I must have missed the announcement – it does seem that there are quite a lot of news stories and 'all you need to knows' this week displaying at best a tenuous grasp on how their subjects' technologies work, and at worse a display of total 'spherical and in the plural'.

Maybe the person on the magazine who understands the technology is off enjoying half-term with his or her kids or something? ;-)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Things started going pete tongue many years ago when mags ceased to be written by people passionate about HiFi who just happened to be journalists (Andrew Everard's generation and those before him) and instead started to be written by people passionate about journalism who just happened to get a job writing for a HiFi mag.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Petherick said:

The first thing I wondered is the author writing about one of those sockets, that combines both analogue connections, plus an optical connector down the centre of the plug. Unfortunately I am not an Apple expert, so I maybe talking rubbish, but I just remember reading that those type of sockets can confuse people trying to connect some DACs with phones.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
The first thing I wondered is the author writing about one of those sockets, that combines both analogue connections, plus an optical connector down the centre of the plug. Unfortunately I am not an Apple expert, so I maybe talking rubbish, but I just remember reading that those type of sockets can confuse people trying to connect some DACs with phones.

Nah, they're only on Mac computers, and I don't they're even on those in the latest versions. But though they can get flaky, they can go up to at least 24/96.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
But it still reads like it's an advert. And it still doesn't really make complete sense.
Joe, I think someone needs to go back to basics here and report the facts (at least as much as there are facts in all the conjecture) rather than repeat or paraphrase Apple's fooey.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Things started going pete tongue many years ago when mags ceased to be written by people passionate about HiFi who just happened to be journalists (Andrew Everard's generation and those before him) and instead started to be written by people passionate about journalism who just happened to get a job writing for a HiFi mag.

Myself & other forum members were openly told that WHF preferred to train journalists to write about Hi Fi than teach enthusiasts how to write. It stuck in my mind.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Petherick said:

I've no idea either! Apple are not scrapping analogue out but just the 3.5mm jack socket. I use Bluetooth so won't be effected. I do wish Apple would use the AptX codec on their phones though! I also hope they don't try to make their phones any thinner - just increase the soddin' battery life!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts