What digital add-on for exisiting seperates system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current systems is:

Teac turnatable, Marantz CD6000, Aiwa tuner, Aiwa 2xcassette AD-WX929, Kenwood KA-3020, & Spendor BC1s.

I now have a digital collection on my computer ... ripped CDs, MP3 downloads from Amazon, and Internet radio recordings.

I've tried MP3 files played from Sandisk MP3, and Nokia 5800 phone - the sound falls a long way short of everything else (even the cassette).

What can I add to my present system to hear my digital collection on it? Oh, and it has to be affordable (translate as budget?)

Any help will be much appreciated.

PS. Probably don't want to be tied into iTunes

T

the record spot

On a budget? Try the M-Audio Transit USB DAC, failing that, there are several to choose from if you need a mains power option and the one I use is the Firestone Audio Spitfire II DAC, which has three inputs (one each from coaxial, optical and USB). Excellent little DAC with optional additional offboard power supply too. £250.

A

Anonymous

Hi 'the record spot'

Thanks for being the one person to reply!

I'll have a look at your suggestions.

Many thanks,

David

T

the record spot

Hi David,

Actually, if you'll permit me adding one more to your list, have a look at Onkyo's TX-8050 network stereo receiver. It's got the means to take four digital inputs (2 Coax, 2 Optical), has a phono stage, plus inputs for all your other bits of kit. A firmware upgrade due in the next week or so will deliver Spotify functionality. It's currently going for £269 with Superfi's 10% Christmas discount.

Plenty of power on it too - 130wpc at 6ohms. No magazine reviews to date, but quite a few owners speak good things of it. Effectively, it's offering a stack more than the Spitfire II for about £20 extra.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Try plugging a stereo jack -> 2 phono lead from your computer to your amp.

Make sure you rip all your mp3s at a bitrate of 192kbps or above. 128kbps does sound inferior.

I have a Kenwood KA-3020 SE amp in my collection and find it lacking in resolution. I'd upgrade my amp before adding an external DAC otherwise you I doubt you'll hear much benefit.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
RS's suggestion is good (providing the above mentioned kit sounds decent--go have a listen and let us know!).

You get a better DAC and amp in a single box.

A

Anonymous

davidmcc3 said:
I now have a digital collection on my computer ... ripped CDs, MP3 downloads from Amazon, and Internet radio recordings.

What can I add to my present system to hear my digital collection on it? Oh, and it has to be affordable (translate as budget?)

You could add a Squeezbox Touch and load the Media server software onto your PC. Then you get the digital music streamed to your hifi, using the good quality DAC in the Touch. Downside with this solution is that it wont allow you to add additional digital sources in future (you'd need a separate DAC for that), but answers your original question. SB Touch costs about £180 (may be cheaper on offer)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts