What CD player? Marantz CD-5004, CD-6005, Rotel RCD-12?

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Greetings people.

I got a friend who is about to get a new CD player for his low-medium budget Hi-Fi equipment. He is considering these 3 models:

Marantz CD-5004

Marantz CD-6005

Rotel RCD-12

What do you think it would be the best quality for him, cost wise?

Again Many thanks in advance.

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks Mattew *good*

Is the only difference between the 5000 and 6000 series the USB input? He is considering the 5004 and not the 5005 because the price is unbeatable (250€), as is being sold as outlet actually, should he go for a 5005 or the difference is minimal between those models?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Is it wise in these days buy a CDP? I mean it seems that everyone is streaming. I was also looking at a new CDP. But on Dutch Hififorums and also by dealers there is said this is then the moment to go streaming. I still in dubt. CDP is easy and cheap. Streaming you must have a good streamer and server with harddisks and you must all your cd's ripping into Flac.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I used to have cd5004, found it very bland, and didn't improve on a much older sony I had. I now have a cambridge topaz which sounds better but takes am age to load and the mechanism is sometimes noisy. 250 euros isn't cheap in terms of UK prices - its £149 for the 5004 in uk.

I haven't got a cd5005, but unlike the 5004 it has both the same cd mechanism and dac as the more expensive 6005 series, so I agree with MP that it's worth paying extra over the 5004. I think the 5004 is so cheap at the moment because they are getting rid of the last of the old models. In your position it would be the 5005 for me.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
peterpan said:
Is it wise in these days buy a CDP? I mean it seems that everyone is streaming. I was also looking at a new CDP. But on Dutch Hififorums and also by dealers there is said this is then the moment to go streaming. I still in dubt. CDP is easy and cheap. Streaming you must have a good streamer and server with harddisks and you must all your cd's ripping into Flac.

I'm an oldy with 600 mainly classical cds - I already have most of the music I want so why go the expense and effort of changing everything? I I were just starting with music maybe it would be different. If I want anything more music then 2nd hand cds are cheap and easily available on the internet.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
slice said:
peterpan said:

I'm an oldy with 600 mainly classical cds - I already have most of the music I want so why go the expense and effort of changing everything? I I were just starting with music maybe it would be different. If I want anything more music then 2nd hand cds are cheap and easily available on the internet.

The 6005 is a good player. IMO Marantz kit is good for classical.

Chris

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Krorghar said:
Greetings people.

I got a friend who is about to get a new CD player for his low-medium budget Hi-Fi equipment. He is considering these 3 models:

Marantz CD-5004

Marantz CD-6005

Rotel RCD-12

What do you think it would be the best quality for him, cost wise?

None of the above.

Consider a Blu-Ray player such as the Samsung BD-H8900

You will get far more for your money and when you consider what is on offer, any CD player looks ridiculously overpriced.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Why not buy second hand? For around £100-150 you could get a legendary Marantz CD63 KI, which would be a much better machine than the 3 mentioned.

Just a thought..... :)

wclough

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Asking about hifi is a bit like asking what car to get. People can suggest stuff but you must decide after driving/listening to it. I have just demoed a 6005 today and didn't rate it where as What Hifi awards did. I use the same part of one trach and don't listen to a lot of different tracks or I get confused. Just about 30 secs of a known piece with the right notes and instruments/voices and repeat a few times on each machine. I have nearly made the mistake, twice now, of hearing a really detailed sound only to find it hard work after a few minutes. eg Musical Fidelity and Audiolab 8200. If you're interested I chose another Arcam, this time the CD17

rainsoothe

OP: what's the rest of his current system? And what does he like / not like and would like to improve about it? What kind of sound does he like? Music taste and even room size might be useful as well, since maybe the CD player is fine and something else could be improved with more noticeable results using the same ammount of money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts