What CD do you use as a reference?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What CD do you always refer to when you make a change such as a tweak or component change?

I use Little Dragon's 'Ritual Union'. I think it is a brilliant test of a hifi and I never tire of hearing it.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I don't use a CD, I use an old cassette of Now That's What I Call Music 3 that I've covered in blu-tak...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh :rofl: :rofl: :shame:

One of my favourites is the eponymous Tracy Chapman album, especially for air around a performer.

A

Anonymous

Not just about the hifi industry. All industry. It is insane that almost everything is made in China. The UK can't just be a nation of shopkeepers and bankers.

A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson said:
Death by China said:
Not just about the hifi industry. All industry. It is insane that almost everything is made in China. The UK can't just be a nation of shopkeepers and bankers.

You're not much of an internationalist then?

If you don't get my gist, then I can't be arsed to explain it.

T

the record spot

I usually use:-

Joni Mitchell - NIght Ride Home (title track)

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Yes - The Yes Album (Starship Trooper)

Aimee Mann - Whatever (50 Years After The Fair, 4th of July, Stupid Thing, actually make that most of this great album)

Keith Jarret - The Koln Concert, Jasmine (with Charlie Haden)

Rebecca Pigeon - The Raven

...and a few others!
small-logo.png

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Death by China said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Death by China said:

You're not much of an internationalist then?

If you don't get my gist, then I can't be arsed to explain it.

Yes, I get your gist and your broader agenda.

Well, at least you're transparent.

A

Anonymous

That book looks interesting, I did not know it exists.

Thanks for proving guys that I really did the best thing by not partaking in any forums for a long time. It doesn't take long for human beings to act like schoolyard bullies in cyberspace. I have reported several posts in this thread as offensive. Baiting. Bravo!

Now, can we have a friendly conversation? Is that possible on this forum? Or do I need to find a forum with grown ups?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sensitive type I guess? I can't see any baiting, just people asking for your opinion on a topic, there's nothing wrong with that. Your posting style is a little provocative though, I wouldn't be surprised if you've put the odd nose out of joint.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bladeslap said:
This has the potential to be a useful and interesting thread...

I'm not sure it does and it certainly isn't a unique question, it gets asked quite a lot here and the answer is always "use a CD you're most familiar with", there's no point testing equipment with a CD you don't know well, just because someone else likes it.

Paul.

*quietly sidesteps car crash in progress*

I usually play:

anything by Tori Amos to see how it handles vocals

The Neon Handshake by Hell is for Heroes to see how the system handles less than perfect productions...

Finished Symphony by Hybrid, Orchestral score above very low reverby breaks, one of the most challenging tracks to get right

Some really dark and filthy Drum and Base, usually by Spor

BT, Imogen Heap, UNKLE, Jurassic 5 and 65DaysofStatic. For no reason other than its what I listen too the most.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
The tracks I use are:

Blue Nile - Tinseltown in The Rain

Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden - Spiritual

Pat Metheny - Truth Will Always Be

Eric Bibb - Shingle by Shingle

And now... Where appropriate

The 24-bit 192 remaster of Meet Me In London, Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba, especially the track Take Five (interesting to hear vocals on this well-known tune).

:type:

manicm

I think any of my favourite CDs will do, especially to test imaging i.e. Pink Floyd, Roxy Music.

However to expose any harshness my reference will be David Bowie's Scary Monsters And Super Creeps - or indeed any of his 1999 remasters - these will expose any undue sibilance and harshness in a system immediately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts