What are your sources for music these days?

H

HolyMoly

Hi,

I am new here. I just wanted to know how you folks are consuming music these days. Background is that I seem to be the only old fashioned type of person who still wants to 'possess' music not only to stream it.

I am still using web radios to get my music by capturing the stream. But I understand that this might not be the best way to get all the newest music or all the music from a certain artist. On the other hand if I use Spotify or something similar, all my music is linked to that program and I can not use that music on my mp3 player. So are there any people with the same kind of problem or have all of you changed to streaming services?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
Streaming most of the time. Mainly use Tidal/Deezer Elite for lossless at home, or Soundcloud/Tunein radio. Plus my older library of music, which is on a NAS and stored in the almighty cloud via Google Play Music.

Also still buy vinyl, mainly electronic music that I want to own. Still enjoy buying physical copies. Occasionally a download if it's not available on streaming services or vinyl. Very occasionally a CD.

S

Scarecrow

Hej I think I am the rest of the people and listening to my music most of the times on Streaming services. For me it's deezer but whatever. Only sometimes when I am very undecided about what to hear next I like to listen to web radio.

Some time ago I used to use a webradio recorder to improve my music selection. That was a nice way to do it and if I think about it, it was quite nice to have all the music free from any restrictions to use it on any player or device. The software is called Audials Radiotracker. Maybe this could be interesting for you too:

http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_internet_radios/internet_radios.html

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I use Spotify 99.99% you would need to get a iphone or simular then you could listen to spotify on the move you can download it to the device and listen off air.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I don't currently have a NAS drive (hopefully change that soon), much of my background listening is via Napster, which is something I usually use to discover new artists and get a feel for their music. From there I will usually purchase the CD or the vinyl copy of the album (sometimes both), or 16/24 bit downloads if physical formats of a particular album are not available. Despite quality claims for streaming services, I'm not convinced they're as good a listening experience as a CD, which is why the likes of Spotify/Tidal etc will, for me, never replace any physical formats, unless they stream their full catalogue in full hi-res.

SteveR750

Similar to David. A mix of Spotify from which I'll discover new albums / artists, if I like them enough I'll buy the CD and rip it my laptop. Thereafter the disc is simply an archived copy sat in my cupboard.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Continuing the theme that seems to be becoming common in this thread, I tend to discover new music or 'new-to-me' music through Spotify and if I like it enough to want to permanently own a copy of it I'll go buy the CD and rip it to my NAS. Very infrequently I'll buy a lossless HD download, such as my download of Hotel California that I bought from a European site (I forget which one it was now...it was a site recommended by Andrew Everard). This is because sometimes the best sounding masters are only available as HD downloads.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
No streaming - all owned CD's ripped directly onto an SSD of my audio pc using a DVDRW Drive powered off a Linear Power Supply.

Using a specific Drive with a specific chipset for a specific reason

I am anal tho much more than most :) To me it wont get any better than this for the format - if other ways can equal it fine but to me this is making sure its the best I can get it.

After spending all the money on the machine dont want to put crap in the tank to run it off

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ripped CDs 90% of the time (along with two hi-res albums I purchased), until yesterday I would have said Spotify for 9.8% of the time but I've been an early convertor to Apple Music, and for the other 0.2% of the time vinyl.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's no less legal than it was before last year's ruling, so it makes no odds imo. Anyway I ripped all my CDs between then and now, honest mr ossifer.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
79% Spotify.

10% Downloads from Boomkat, Bleep, Linn, independants. FLAC format

10% ripped albums, FLAC or MP3.

No iTunes store, ever, and never will.

There are 1 or 2 bands who I would still buy the CD but that's probably under 1%, and even then I don't bother ripping it if it's on Spotify. In fact even much of my Spotify listening is of albums I own or have even ripped, but I find the quality is identical in most cases so Vorbis 320 Kbps is fine by me.

I have around 1500 CDs; I have ripped about 100 and don't intend to rip any more. They are in a box in the garage. Every now and then I go have a look if there's anything I want to listen to that I've forgotten and take a few out and use my old Arcam Alpha 7CDSE which is still plugged into my ADM9RS speakers :)

TRENDING THREADS