What amp to replace a CA 650A used with a DAC Magic and B&W CM1s?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, here's my situation:

I purchased a 650A from Richer Sounds but was lent a demo model while they get a silver one in stock, so i'm still able to switch it for something else. Like mathewpiano was saying, i like the incredible detail but find it a bit bright sometimes.

I'm thinking of trying the NAD 326 but am worried that although it'll be warmer it might be a step down in terms of quality. The What Hi Fi review said it would be found out if partnered with hi end speakers, are the CM1s high end enough?

I could get a 'graded' 740A for just a bit more than the 650A but its only listed on their website store so it might be a bit complicated. Unfortunately i'm limited to Richer Sounds' stock unless i sell the new 650A on ebay and used the cash raised to get something some where else.

The manager at Richer Sounds said the DAC magic may be causing some of the brightness and suggested changing interconnects (apparently Chords are quite bright) to some heavier copper ones but i'm not sure how much they can change the sound.

Please let me know if you have any views/ideas.

matthewpiano

The NAD C326BEE is every bit the quality amp the 650A is, but without the brightness. Of course, it isn't quite as overtly detailed but it is only a small trade off for what I've found an excellent gain in overall listenability and musical enjoyment.

Hope this helps.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have heard the 740A at a richersounds store. I thinkit has a warmer sound than other less powerful CA amps. Listen to it first - i think you will be pleasantly surprised. The extra power would be v useful too.

I have an CA 840A v2 and love the unstrained power that it has. Even at lower volume levels the extra power gives an unstrained feel and depth to the music.

Tonky

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Agreed! I have a 740c, 840a fed to a pair of CM1s and it sounds great. Just watch the reliability on the CA stuff, add in the extended warranty as a standard cost, you can't do without it. The gear is very innovative though, the upsampling on CDs is clever as hell and I use the fixed input option on the 840a to feed an AV receiver through and use the 840a as a power amp for home cinema fronts (the CM1s).

740a/840a recommended.

A

Anonymous

If you like the Cambridge, why not just adjust the tone controls until it sounds less bright?

After all, different frequency response is what makes amps sound different (unless there's tubes involved; then there's harmonic distortion thrown in).

PS: Changing cables won't do anything but feed the reseller.

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Am also in the same quandary, being that my brio3 just doesn't seem "right" with the CM1's I just got last week.

My dealer says the Cayin A50-T would make a perfect match so I will have to give that a listen.

Always wanted to try the Kandy K2's though so that's also a possibility.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

id be thinking the roksan audio analogue or nait5i the cm1s are better than budget speakers

A

Anonymous

wow, its funny how these things turn out. I was pretty much set on the NAD but when i went in to Richer Sounds to discuss the exchange i was told there would be a handling fee (although RS denied it i think this was pretty much because the NAD was a lot cheaper than the 650). I said i was also thinking of the 740 and after a bit of negotiating the handling fee was wiped off.

It then transpired that they had a 'graded' 840A for £200 off which seem a good deal so i pounced upon it. I took it home but it turned out to be faulty but the next day it was replaced with their display model and i'm happy to say i'm really enjoying it. It probably isn't quite run in yet but the improvement over the 650 is really astonishing. The 650 was starting to sound quite good as it was run in more but this is just another level. I even like the relay clicks of the volume control.

The next step is to get some balanced interconnects for the DAC Magic. the Chord Cobra ones are around £60 but these seem to be the cheapest balanced cables out there, does that mean they're not very good compared to the others, why are the others so expensive? I have the RCA equivalents to the Cobras and they seem to get good reviews. Does anyone have experience with balanced interconnects, will the make much of a difference?

Thanks,

Chris

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mr.c.brown:
wow, its funny how these things turn out. I was pretty much set on the NAD but when i went in to Richer Sounds to discuss the exchange i was told there would be a handling fee (although RS denied it i think this was pretty much because the NAD was a lot cheaper than the 650). I said i was also thinking of the 740 and after a bit of negotiating the handling fee was wiped off.

It then transpired that they had a 'graded' 840A for £200 off which seem a good deal so i pounced upon it. I took it home but it turned out to be faulty but the next day it was replaced with their display model and i'm happy to say i'm really enjoying it. It probably isn't quite run in yet but the improvement over the 650 is really astonishing. The 650 was starting to sound quite good as it was run in more but this is just another level. I even like the relay clicks of the volume control.

The next step is to get some balanced interconnects for the DAC Magic. the Chord Cobra ones are around £60 but these seem to be the cheapest balanced cables out there, does that mean they're not very good compared to the others, why are the others so expensive? I have the RCA equivalents to the Cobras and they seem to get good reviews. Does anyone have experience with balanced interconnects, will the make much of a difference?

Thanks,

Chris

Believe me, you will really notice an improvement using balanced cables - I did and we have very similar set ups. Check out eBay for some bargain XLR cables.

A

Anonymous

Will there still be a big difference if i use cheaper cables do you think? would quite like to keep the price under £80.

TRENDING THREADS