What amp should get?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I need your thoughts with some amp suggestions. I'm building a new main system and I’m planning to change my amp later this week. I've decided to remove my HT set-up and I’m converting it into a pure audio system.
My current set-up:

Amp: Onkyo TX-SR605

Spkr: Monitor Audio RS6

CDP: Cambridge Audio 640c V2
Cables used: XLO htsc 12, Ecosse the composer

After going through this forum, the NAD 352 /NAD 355(not sure if it’s worth the extra £ though) and the Cambridge Audio 640a V2 are the ones that come to mind.

What would be the best amp for this system of mine? Will these amps give a big improvement to the sound of my system, as compared to using the Onkyo TX-SR605?

My budget is around £500. I listen to all kinds of music but mostly Jazz, Rock and Dance music. I might add a turntable in the future (Rega P3) but still contemplating the thought.
Any other suggestions to improve my system will be appreciated.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

yes get one that makes your music sound good, a good amp is what you need.
emotion-2.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="HiFi_Newbie"]
Hello Everyone,

I need your thoughts with some amp suggestions. I'm building a new main system and I'm planning to change my amp later this week. I've decided to remove my HT set-up and I'm converting it into a pure audio system.

My current set-up:

Amp: Onkyo TX-SR605

Spkr: Monitor Audio RS6

CDP: Cambridge Audio 640c V2

Cables used: XLO htsc 12, Ecosse the composer

After going through this forum, the NAD 352 /NAD 355(not sure if it's worth the extra £ though) and the Cambridge Audio 640a V2 are the ones that come to mind.

What would be the best amp for this system of mine? Will these amps give a big improvement to the sound of my system, as compared to using the Onkyo TX-SR605?

My budget is around £500. I listen to all kinds of music but mostly Jazz, Rock and Dance music. I might add a turntable in the future (Rega P3) but still contemplating the thought.
Any other suggestions to improve my system will be appreciated.

Thanks!

[/quote] Ignore the other poster - he is notorious for being a nightmare on here. ,p. Yes, a stereo amp costing £200 let alone £500 would make a big difference from your Onkyo. Definitely listen to the Creek Evo (rrp £495) but on Creek's website you can pick them up as ex demos with guarantee and delivery for £350. Brilliant amp. Surprisingly powerful and very accurate. Also to keep with the Cambridge link, you could listen to the 740A for £500 at home and send it back if you are not happy with it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll consider those amps in my decision. The creek seems to have enough power to run the MA RS6, but wont the rotel being only 40w be a little underpowered for it?

How about the NAD 353/355 are they a good match?

Any other suggestions?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vanman"]
yes get one that makes your music sound good, a good amp is what you need.
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

If your not gonna say anything useful, why bother at all?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="unleash_me"]I dont think he liked that last bit![/quote]
Looks like he's attempting to whisper in his own ear. That man just has too much time on his hands....

A

Anonymous

Nah, The Rotel will be more than enough - the figures don't always tell the whole story . . . You'd need to have a listen to the NAD's some find them a bit too warm/muddled but it's all down to your listening preferences!

A

Anonymous

The NAD amps will pair up well with your speakers and you should achieve a good balance, as the MA RS6s are a little bright and the NADs have a very warm sound. I have a NAD amp myself and I think they sound great - only the finish lets them down in my eyes, but ultimately it depends on what amp makes the best of the music you like as vanman said. The 40W rotel amp is also very good. The RS6s are very efficient so you shouldn't find it underpowered as unless you listen at veryy high volumes!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hifi_Newbie, £500 is a bit 'no-mans land' in amplifier terms. I think the best you can achieve has been mentioned already though I perhaps would add the Marantz 7001 (and KI) and the Brio from the Rega company to it. Both good, both different.

Where it really starts to happen is around £700 - 800 with Naims Nait and Cyrus'es 8. The latter is available at discounted prices but both are worth saving for.

A

Anonymous

To all those who contributed, thanks for the advice. Saving a bit more for the naims sounds good too. Has anyone heard if the naim nait 5i goes well with the ma rs6?

A

Anonymous

I've scheduled to audition the NAD 352, Rotel RA-04 and the Rega Brio in a shop. The dealer recommended the Rega Brio among the 3.

Any thoughts on the Rega Brio? Will the Rega go well with my set-up?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="HiFi_Newbie"]
I've scheduled to audition the NAD 352, Rotel RA-04 and the Rega Brio in a shop. The dealer recommended the Rega Brio among the 3.

Any thoughts on the Rega Brio? Will the Rega go well with my set-up?
[/quote] In my opinion it cannot live with the Evo. I mentioned on here before that the guy I sold my Evo to had just bought a Brio and sent it back as he was not impressed. He agreed with me that the Evo sounds twice the price. Seriously consider a demo with your speakers - I had the combo and loved it. I sold the Evo purely because it wouldn't configure into my home cinema system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts