What Active Subwoofer is the best for Hi Fi. Must have high-level inputs for connecting to a stereo amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I have a budget of £350 to spend on an active subwoofer. For now it will be only used for stereo connected to my Marantz pm66 Ki Signature amplifier which is powering B&W DM601 S3 speakers which are wall mounted in my bedroom which is quite smalll in size. The Active Subwoofer has to be forward firing. I am considering purchasing a Velodyne CHT-10R. Can someone please tell me what the difference in sound quality is of Paper Cone Woofers or Strenghtened woofer or rubber/ polypropylene woofers In Active Subwoofers. Which Sound the best and last longer. Paper Cones look ugly to me. I do not have the spare time or transport to go aroung auditioning Active Subwoofers. So any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I know as much as you about subs, not to much, no offense, but last nite was an eye opener. I had a friends AVI ADM9.1's at home for testing. A powerful active monitor which I heard on a number on occasions but never in my place. The sounds was glorious, detailed and totally involving, already a good start and even better than on other hearings. Then we added a tiny ruark vita 50 (MJA pro), turned it down so you had to stand next to it to even hear it was on and ... tight, deep and clearly delineated bass and it added a new dimension to an already superb sound. I have to honestly say the last time I've heard music sounding like that was with a plinius pre-power and large Monitor Audio Golds.

I dont know if this little sub which is available for little money is of interest to you (its a discontinued model but still available new on ebay) as it is nominally not as powerful as some and has a downward firing driver. But its extremely fast, punchy, integrates seamlessly and looks good. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks alot for your suggestions drummerman I shall take on board your recommendations and carry on searching the net to see if anyone is selling the Ruark vito 50/100 brand new or if decent examples are for sale. Not been successful so far as one seller would not answer any questions when asked about the condition of the driver and he stated a no return policy in his advert. If I do not find one Does anyone have any experience of the Epos ELS subwoofer. Does it offer the same sound quality as the MJ PRO 50? The Wharfedale SW150 looks ok too. Would I be better off getting a second hand REL subwofer if so which is the best for Hi Fi there were quite a few Rel Quakes for sale on flea bay last time I looked. The Velodyne SPL 800i looks awesome but its way out of my budget. If I can and do stretch my budget (big maybe) Is the Velodyne SPL 800i going way over board just being used as a Hi Fi subwoofer partnering B&W DM601 S3's ? or shall I stick with the subwoofers metioned earlier. Please Help

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BK electronics sell the Minotaur (same sub as MJA Pro 50 or Vita 50) for £150. With subs its quality rather than quantity unless you solely use it for HT. 600 watts is no good if it booms or does'nt integrate.

I believe Andrew E, one of the contributing editors, has experience with the little pro50 and I'm sure many others too. Perhaps direct the question at him.

A

Anonymous

Thanks drummerman I see what you saying about subwoofer intergration with my speakers. It was just me going overboard again as usual. Spoilt for choice really. So many different brands some reviewed and some not. I did not know that the BK electronics Minotaur subwoofer was the exactly same active subwoofer as the MJ Acoustics pro 50 active subwoofer. Thanks for the info. How do I direct this question to Andrew E. I am new to Hi Fi forums and this is my very first one that I have posted on. Cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
He'll probably pick it up, if not perhaps post a thread tomorrow or later tonight directed at him.

If you google MJ Acoustic Pro 50 (the original version) you get plenty of info, including Gramophone's which ended I believe with AE and another editor using it in their then reference system. That was 2001 mind and a lot has happened since. However, I have heard a fair bit HIFI and the few mostly well known subs that have graced some systems never really did it for me. We put this tiny sub side by side with a small REL that cost five times as much in a fairly expensive system and I preferred the MJ because if was faster and more accurate. It wont go as loud but as it is turned down to an extend that you have to stand next to it to actually hear it working there's plenty of volume/headroom available. Switch it off and you notice instantly. Couple of nights ago we had it connected to some AVI ADM9.1's and again it matched superbly, underpinning the music with deep delineated bass you could feel and hear but without boom or overhang even at good volumes.

I've no idea about any of the other subs you mention but I'm sure there's people here that use some.

A

Anonymous

Hi I have just been looking on the BK electronics site for another £50 over the Minotaur they are selling the Gemini model which features a 8" composite fibre cone 150 watts and you also get £44 worth of extra's such as 5m Neutric high level lead/ 5m phono to phono lead. Value wise this looks to be a better deal as with the Minotaur you dont get no leads provided with it. Does this subwoofer sound as good as the Minotaur?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I assume that's directed at me. I got my Vita 50 for I think £120 on ebay new and the Neutrik speakon lead for another twenty or so. These Vitas pop up periodically on

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/B-K-Electronics-Shop

Sorry mate but I have no idea about the Gemini, but I hope one of the editors can give you further help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts