Whalfedale 121 vs Kef R100s

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking about getting either the Wharfedale 121s or the kef R100s. The Wharfedales would save me a lot of cash so I guess I am really after the opinions of anyone who have heard both speakers to help me make my decision.

matthewpiano

Why just between these two speakers? There are plenty of other options well worth exploring.

If it is a long-term purchase I'd steer clear of the Wharfedales. Decent entry-level speakers sound-wise but just about the poorest quality build and finish I've come across in a long time. They just don't feel or look like quality, unfortunately.

The KEFs are in a different class but will also require a much better amplifier than the Wharfedales to give their best.

T

the record spot

I'd agree with Matthew's question - why just those two models? If you want to save money, need a smaller speaker and want excellent sound quality, then go in the middle for the likes of Tannoy's DC4. If you've a small room, then it's a default option on the list as far as I'm concerned. Terrific sound, better bass than the magazines would have you believe and they left the lumpy R100s in their wake IMO (heard them side by side a couple of years back). Listened to the Warner Brothers boxset of Bruckner's symphonies over the weekend and was astonished by how good Tannoy made these discs sound.

If you want the best of both worlds, and have the space in your room, but want to save a little cash, definitely, definitely try out Pioneer's S-71B. Let them run in for a few days, give them room to breathe and they'll impress. Ask in Tottenham Court Road will do them delivered for £230 and they're worth every penny (their online price is about £500, so avoid that - ring the shop if you're not in London which is what I did).

Poinjt to note: out the box you'll think you've wasted your money. Never heard a speaker sound so out of sort, but leave them to loosen up a bit, and if you like your speakers without a fizzy treble (so many are sent out like this today it's a pain in the eardrum as well as the backside), you'll like these. But note, they need room else the bass will dominate. They JUST work in my room, but the Tannoys work better for me again. Hanging on to the Pioneers though; if I move to a bigger place in the next couple of years, they'll be a good fit.

Fit and finish on both the DC4 and S-71B are beyond what you normally get at the price and easily compete with the R100. No BS, these are must-auditions IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts