Weight on top of speakers - Any improvements in sound quality ?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
It has come to my attention that in some hifi forum (not in here) someone mentioned that by putting something heavy on top of the speakers could improve sound quality
smiley-surprised.gif
. I wonder if there are justifications and scientific backing up theory to it?

With the above in mind I have an idea of placing a kitchen granite (say from TESCO or some supermarket costing £10 or so) on top of the speaker and insert in between the speaker top and the granite a sorbothane sheet to damp out any wall vibrations. In theory it should absorb some of the case vibrations and should impove the sound stage but I have no idea on its effect towards bass or highs? That is only a theory and I wonder if anyone has any experience with such arrangement ? Using a granite on top of the speaker should not look ugly
smiley-tongue-out.gif

A

Anonymous

I agree with David. Also with the granite chopping boards (or "worktop protectors" of which I just bought 9!!!) you can try placing them on top and underneath the speakers to see what difference it makes at modest cost. I found putting these underneath the speakers sharpened things up enormously, previously the speaker cabinets were resting on pieces of carpet tile so no surprise I heard an improvement with the spikes fitted and a firm based added. My speaker already weighs 33Kg each so don't think adding a board on top will change much!

What speakers are these, how much do they weight and how are they "attached" to the floor?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I use a Black, cast iron 5KG weight on each speaker. Cheaper and heavier than the granite chopping boards and with a much smaller footprint. There's an audible improvement in tightness of bass.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I got hold of two granite chopping boards from TESCO today and put it on top of my Spendor SA-1 (SA-1 only weight about 6KG each). To be honest there seems to be no change in the SQ at all with the boards placing on top of the speakers. With or without the granite boards I did not feel any vibrations on the walls of the speaker case at normal amplifier volume setting. That may explain why the SQ remains the same.

A

Anonymous

Try placing the boards underneath the speaker and lets us know if that makes a difference.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
When I recived my Spendor SA-1 I had placed the speakers on top of granite board. I have no idea what is the SQ if I take the board out from underneath of the SA-1. I may try later.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have often thought there is something to this idea, but I have always used thick hardback books rather than weights or slabs of stone. They look more 'normal' (people do leave books on things) and they can easily be tidied away.

5833373576_7ef9c73be2.jpg

I have always found Winston to have the necessary 'gravitas' for this task. KBO.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Looks good especially with such an impressivly hefty hardback!

Obviously as a fundamental, always make sure your speakers are on good strong stands ideally filled with leadshot. This will make the majority of a difference. Then experiment with a little with weight on top.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts