Wadia CDP

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
Still searching for a replacement for my CDX2. I will be having a home demo of the Sugden PDT-4 this week, but someone has also recommended a Wadia 302 which unfortunately I cannot demo.
So just wondered if anyone has any experience of the Wadia and what I might expect.
Many thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't comment on Sugden vs Wadia, but if you love the sound of the PDT-4, I wouldn't go for the Wadia as a blind purchase.....though saying that, Thaiman knows his onions and can probably give you an accurate summary of both players. :shifty:

It may also depend on the speakers you end up with.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cno, Well, should be getting the Sugden beginning of the week and the Harbeths at the end, so hoping I can hold on to the CDP till at least then. The ATC's really are a tremendous speaker, I just don't think I've been too clever in system matching... I really must get it right this time. Another speaker mentioned to me is the Tannoy Turnberry, supposed to be a bit special, again no way of demoing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Cno, Well, should be getting the Sugden beginning of the week and the Harbeths at the end, so hoping I can hold on to the CDP till at least then. The ATC's really are a tremendous speaker, I just don't think I've been too clever in system matching... I really must get it right this time. Another speaker mentioned to me is the Tannoy Turnberry, supposed to be a bit special, again no way of demoing.

Once again, I'm fascinated with your further machinations.

Any change in source should be clearly audible, and both the Wadia and the Sugden are less "digital" sounding than most.

Other speakers to consider are Diapason and GamuT.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Macspur

Yes, i've heard the Wadia 302 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick

This is getting close to spamming. Please limit yourself to useful contributions, thanks...

Hi Andre,
thanks for your intervention, but I must tell everyone this.
I received a call on my mobile today from Rick sincerely apologising for appearing to be unhelpful on this post.
He explained that he had meant to add more as he is very experienced with Wadia, but before he could complete his post he was interupted and didn't get the chance to go back in and subsequently forgot all about it.
I've only spoke to Rick once previously when asking his advice on ATC and he still had my number from then.
I was really impressed that he took the trouble to ring me direct to explain himself and give me some first hand advice on the Wadia to boot!
I received the Sugden PDT-4 for home demo, but it arived with the drive tray already open and now it won't recognise any discs... so that's a non starter! So disappointed not to get to hear this machine!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Very frustrating! Did Rick give any further insight re Sugden vs Wadia?

So disappointing... don't see too many used PDT-4's.
Rick said both Sugden and Wadia give a rich more full bodied sound than the Naim, but he did say that in order to get the best from the Wadia, because they have a built in preamp, it's best to hook it up to a power amp.
I've decided not to buy the 302... too much of a risk if anything goes wrong, or I don't like it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts