WADIA 121 and olive 03 not compatible?

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Dear All,

I just recieve my new WADIA 121 DAC. I conected it to the olive trough the USB port adn to the AMP but not sound is coming out. I doubt I have make a wrong cnection. could be possible that they are just not compatible?

thnak you in advance

kr

Eduardo

A

Anonymous

I assume you're trying to get digital out of the Olive, if so I'm not sure you can.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
yes, trought the USB port. here is an officla statement from OLIVE in this same forum.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM OLIVE MEDIA INC.

Dear WhatHiFi Forum members,

please let me clarify the questions surrounding the support of USB DACs with our Olive O3HD. Hopefully this will clear up the miscommunication in earlier threads. The O3HD is compatible with all USB 1.1 asynchronous USB DACs/Speakers which use a generic USB 1.1 protocol (up to 24bit/96kHz). Known working devices are for example the Rega DAC and the pro-ject USB DAC.

If you would like us to evaluate any other brand/model please submit the information about the DAC (brand and model) to me directly and we will look into the possibility of supporting it. I look forward to hearing from you."

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
After taking the WADIA 121 back to my dealer he give me a YBA Desing that he tried wiht an OLIVE 02 and 04 and did works. I arrive at home and unfortunately I have the same results has with wadia. I was satring to belive the 03 just do not accept any DAC. I spend last week in Europe and visit the REGA dealer in Amsterdam Knokki. Realy great guy!!!and I bought the REGA DAC as my last chance having in mind the offical statement from OLIVE in this forum. I arrived back today and ....IT WORKS!!! the REGA DAC work wiht the 03!!! I am realy happy. not have yet the chance to have a proper listening, hope to do it tomorrow.

at the moment I just conected it wiht a cheap USB cable. should I invest in a better cable?

kr

Eduardo

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Eduardo, it seems to me that you're trying to connect your Olive via its USB input, which is not for digital output, into your Wadia DAC. Olive's USB is actually an interface to synchronize/archive your media library on the Olive's HDD, so it physically cannot work the way around and output digital signal. If you have Olive 03, then from what I recall there is no option at all to output digital signal into an outboard DAC.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dragon,

the USB port from the OLIVE 03 HD works, as the OLIVE people say wiht some DAC and it works wiht the REGA. I am listening right now to my music trough the REGA DAC so I can 100% confirm that.

kr

Eduardo

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dragon76 said:
Eduardo, it seems to me that you're trying to connect your Olive via its USB input, which is not for digital output, into your Wadia DAC. Olive's USB is actually an interface to synchronize/archive your media library on the Olive's HDD, so it physically cannot work the way around and output digital signal. If you have Olive 03, then from what I recall there is no option at all to output digital signal into an outboard DAC.

Olive updated the firmware to allow the USB to be used with a DAC, it says so on their website. I guess it might be possible that the OP had an earlier one that hadn't been updated but as it's now working with a REGA DAC, I guess not.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Wow! Oilve is making progress and adding new features, which is encouraging. My interaction with Olive was some time ago when no such USB feature/updated firmware was available. Thanks for update on this and mu apology for my misleading response.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts