Views on ex-dem equipment

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Thought I'd get a few views on this one

I had always assumed that getting ex-dem kit was a bit of a no brainer - why pay full price when you can get virtually new kit boxed and with warranty from the dealer at a considerable discount from the new price

Remember reading a thread a while back that someone said that quite often dealers will really turn up the volume on dem kit and therefore buyer beware. Up until this point I'd never really given that a thought - had assumed that dealers would be very keen to keep the kit in pristine condition - but maybe I'm wrong !

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd say it depends on how frequently you're likely to want to upgrade. If it's every couple of years then it's even worth a punt on CD players, but much longer and I think PP is right.

Most dealers do offer a full warranty on ex-demo gear though, so you could get an amp with a two year warranty that's already been broken-in for you. That alone might well save the traditional good few hours listening and head-scratching trying to work out why the brand-new amp doesn't sound as good as the demo version. In this case it IS the demo version.

A

Anonymous

Demo kit will be moved into and out of demo rooms very frequently. Some dealers let it go to people's homes too. I bought an ex-demo Kandy III CDP some years ago and the mech started to give up on me after a few years. Hasn't happened on any non demo kit. For me it comes down to how much the discount is, how the item appears and what the dealer is like in their "kit care".

T

the record spot

Saw one dealer who was offering a FIVE YEAR warranty on some used Linn kit (might've been a Classik) - pretty impressive. Either way, shop around, do your homework and if you get a good warranty, you can't really go wrong. Billy Vee in London pretty much offers a straight 12 month one as standard I think, in most cases anyway. Many others offer 3 or 6 month deals typically, the latter being the more common.

For me, I think it's a great way to go - bear in mind you might well snag an item that's been on display but maybe only had relatively little use.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I am using ex dem Audiolab 8000Q pre amp, Rega P3-24 turntable and Proac tablette 2000 speakers all faultless. (speakers are now 7-8 years old, amp & tt about 1) Never had any worries about it, you may encounter minor blemishes, but generally electronics are durable in my experience.

SteveR750

Slightly off topic, but my Gibson SG was 2/3 of new price (and that was before the recent price hikes because of the ex rates) because it was sold as second hand. It had been played four times in about 9 months and is in pristine condition so bargains can be had! My K2 was ex demo, though I paid full price for it as it was its first demo, and I didnt want to wait!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I got my Dali speakers ex-demo and they had a slight imperfection in the grille. Got a new set of grilles the next week FOC.

Suits both parties, because I then bought my ProAcs from the same place.

ÿ

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts