Video review: Squeezebox Duet into AVI ADM9

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently picked up a Squeezebox Duet wireless network music player. The product comes as a package that includes the controller and receiver. The controller is a nice unit and displays all of your music and artwork on a decent little screen. The receiver is small and neat and can be easily hidden. Connectivity includes RCA outputs, coaxial digital, optical toslink, ethernet, and WiFi. To use the system you run the SqueezeCentre software on a computer (or NAS), and you tell this software where all of your music is stored. It serves it up to the receiver, and music is accessed by the controller. Most of my music is my CD collection ripped losslessly. I also have some lower quality downloads, and can access hundreds of internet radio stations. The receiver is fed from its optical output into my speakers. The speakers are AVI ADM9 which are active and include their own DAC, so it is neat, simple, and sounds excellent. Overall I think the Duet is alright considering the price. Sometimes it "hangs" a bit if it goes to sleep and needs to refresh its network connection. I've also used a Sonos system at home, which is better, but more expensive. I have made a video to explain the set up and to show the controller in use. Squeezebox Duet into AVI ADM9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaB9w-pmcJ8 Picture:
IMG_3848Medium.jpg
Thank you, Darren

A

Anonymous

Immense.

Mort importantly, what's that first track you play when demoing the handset?!

A

Anonymous

I've been pimping my Squeezebox Duet this evening.

It is now stuffed fulled of RSS feeds and Podcast feeds so that I can read news updates on the remote control whilst listening to my music, or I can load up a link to say a BBC Podcast of a radio programme.

It is such a versatile little thing. I even have an RSS feed to What HiFi so I can keep an eye on the front page news!

A

Anonymous

Lugs, mine was a pain at first when I didn't read the manual. There's a more detailed one on their website; follow it exactly.
What probs are you having?

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Someone mentioned that I should try these speakers with my Sonos, but before I demo them I have a few questions which I thought you might be able to answer.

How do you connect your Duet (or my Sonos) to the USB input?

What is the power consumption like when they are left on? The beauty of Sonos is that it's always on, but I don't want to have a massive electricity bill from leaving them on permanently.

Does the volume control affect the digital and analogue inputs simultaneously? Or if I switched to the analogue source, changed the volume, and then switched back to digital would it be unaffected?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

AVI offer two versions of the speaker. USB input and digital optical input. I have the latter - it's more flexible.

Therefore, the Duet Receiver or Sonos ZP80 will simply be connected via an optical output, as shown in the video above.

I often leave my speakers on all day or overnight, but generally by accident! I'm not sure what the power consumption is on standby but will find out...
I would say that you definitely could not beat these speakers with a conventional amp / passive speaker, and many people including myself, have replaced much more expensive system with them!
In regards to the volume, the speakers memorise the analogue and digital input volumes separately. Set the Sonos to give a fixed output and use the volume control in the speakers, which is remote controlled.

A

Anonymous

Update: according to some AVI info the speakers only consume a few watts in standby, and 30 watts when in used. Apparently they are very "green" and efficient, and consume very little power relative to their high output.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="DeimosNZ"]
Truly awesome, I am tempted to try something like this, perhaps based around Quad 12L-activess. Time to start researching!
[/quote]
Yo
Are you from AudioEnz? I used that site a bit when I had Plinius amps.

I'm sure you can get AVI over in NZ. I think I read that a distributer is selling them, but that may have been in Aus? If you email AVI they will tell you who to speak to.

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, it is just one of those late night crazy ideas at the moment but I think it may last until morning (and stop me sleeping in the interim). The idea of less clutter and great sound is hard to beat though. I can't see an NZ distributor and the Australian link leads to a parked domain.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="DeimosNZ"]
Thanks, it is just one of those late night crazy ideas at the moment but I think it may last until morning (and stop me sleeping in the interim). The idea of less clutter and great sound is hard to beat though. I can't see an NZ distributor and the Australian link leads to a parked domain.

[/quote]

If you email AVI I'm sure they can advise.

A

Anonymous

Cool.
Mr Drummerman from this forum came over today and I think he liked the system, sound, and concept.

A

Anonymous

Open SqueezeCentre. Click settings, bottom right. Go to Players tab. From the drop down, mid-top left, choose Audio settings and then fix audio output.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="darrenwm1"]Open SqueezeCentre. Click settings, bottom right. Go to Players tab. From the drop down, mid-top left, choose Audio settings and then fix audio output.[/quote]

Doh. Heres me trying to do it from the remote! Thanks for that...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"][quote user="darrenwm1"]Open SqueezeCentre. Click settings, bottom right. Go to Players tab. From the drop down, mid-top left, choose Audio settings and then fix audio output.[/quote]

Doh. Heres me trying to do it from the remote! Thanks for that...[/quote]

Ok hope it works. Anymore Q's just ask.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="darrenwm1"][quote user="fr0g"][quote user="darrenwm1"]Open SqueezeCentre. Click settings, bottom right. Go to Players tab. From the drop down, mid-top left, choose Audio settings and then fix audio output.[/quote]

Doh. Heres me trying to do it from the remote! Thanks for that...[/quote]

Ok hope it works. Anymore Q's just ask.[/quote]

heh. I will thanks. I'm not usually in that position tho... I am quite embarrassed actually... But the manual said nothing..,!

Anyway... Even with the slightly chuggy web interface running on my TS101 its all sorted. (And I enabled scrobbling with my LastFM account!... fr0ggeh)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts