Video Processing: DVD Player, Amp, or TV?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I found an article comparing the video processing capabilities of the Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player to some AV amplifiers, namely the Onkyo TX-NR5008. I plan to own both of these units, so it was interesting to learn that the Oppo Blu-ray player has better video processing capabilities than the Onkyo amplifier.

That said, if both the Oppo and Onkyo have their video processing capabilities turned on, one would assume that the image is first processed in the Blu-ray player, and then that image which is already modified is processed again in the amplifier before being sent to the TV – which in turn could be processing that image yet again.

Knowing that the Oppo has better video processing than the Onkyo, should I be turning off the video processing features in the Onkyo and TV? Is this doable? Or should processing happen nevertheless? Granted that testing is necessary, but am interested to know theoretically what would be the best approach to follow so that processed video signals don’t get too “overanalyzed”.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
If you want it to be as clean as possible, use HDMI1 from the oppo to go direct to the tv (And set to have picture only) and use HDMI2 to goto the OPPO

If you dont want to fork out on another HDMI cable then use HDMI1 to the oppo and switch off any processing the oppo might do (Set to 'through')

A

Anonymous

So you are saying that it's best to output the video signal through Oppo's HDMI 1 directly to the TV, and then use HDMI 2 as an audio carrier to the Onkyo amplifier?

On a side note, it would be interesting to see the results of two processed video signals (Blu-Ray player then Amplifier) as opposed to directly hooking the Blu-Ray player to the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts