Very happy with the C/A 640 A but a few questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just upgraded from an A5 to a 640A and have been astonished by the improvement in quality but my Wharf 9.1's now seem under pressure.

At 11 o clock the woofers look like they might jump out!! (with heavy bass lines...I only use direct path). Is this ok...are they built to withstand this?

Should I consider a speaker upgrade and if so suggestions would be very welcome ;o)

The CDP is a 640 and I enjoy anything from heavy rock to classical.

Many thanks

Mike

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i used to have the same setup. the speakers will be fine upto the amps maximum volume before distortion sets in, usually around 12 o'clock on the volume dial. you can tell when distortion is happening because the sound will change, it might harden up in the treble and midrange or get a bit shouty or the bass will start getting ragged, basically you should be able to hear it and then back off a bit.

be careful when thinking about upgrading, it's a slippery slope! if you're after an upgrade anyhow, maybe the new 10.1? if it was me, and with an eye to the future, i would think about selling the 640 amp (i know, you haven't had it long
emotion-1.gif
) and using the money, and money you had considered spending on a speaker upgrade, on something like a secondhand roksan kandy L.lll amp, with a proper speaker upgrade further down the line.

have you got any more money you want spending?

A

Anonymous

The 9.1s do not play very low and the enclosure is probably unloading the driver, thereby causing the extreme excursion with the material that you are playing.

Lower-tuned bigger bookshelves like the 9.3, or towers might help you. Try not to always play this loud with the 9.1, because you might end up damaging the speaker.

As for amplifier clipping, the 640A has a clipping detector, and will automatically reduce the volume once it detects significantly clipped waveforms in the output.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Nooby:
I've just upgraded from an A5 to a 640A and have been astonished by the improvement in quality but my Wharf 9.1's now seem under pressure.

At 11 o clock the woofers look like they might jump out!! (with heavy bass lines...I only use direct path). Is this ok...are they built to withstand this?

Should I consider a speaker upgrade and if so suggestions would be very welcome ;o)

The CDP is a 640 and I enjoy anything from heavy rock to classical.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi:

I've been having the 640 v2 amp+cd for the past one year driving a bigger MA RS6 FS; the 640s drive them really good. So, I guess, you need to have a speaker upgrade soon and look at good FS as well. My pick would be..

> MA RX1/RX2
> MS Mezzo 1/6
> MS Aviano 1/6

:)

A

Anonymous

I agree with the prior statements. Like your present 9.1, the bigger Avianos are pretty warm and might help take some edge out of the 640A.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you need an upgrade at all. It's a beautiful match. Maybe there's something wrong with your system mechanically.

I've seen the 9.1's driven by a fairly hefty amp and the woofer excursion was kept to a minimal.

Why don't you bring the 640A back to the store and have it hooked up to other speakers? Or check your connections? This is definitely not normal.

A

Anonymous

batonwielder:
I don't think you need an upgrade at all. It's a beautiful match. Maybe there's something wrong with your system mechanically.

I've seen the 9.1's driven by a fairly hefty amp and the woofer excursion was kept to a minimal.

Why don't you bring the 640A back to the store and have it hooked up to other speakers? Or check your connections? This is definitely not normal.

Thanks baton. I hadn't thought there could be something wrong with the amp. I have been very pleased with the much improved sound and even when I push the volume up to 11 o clock there is no degradation in quality...it's just that the woofers are moving more than I expected with bass and drum.

You seem certain there is a fault...everything is phased correctly....

A

Anonymous

Thanks to Craig, Stagea and Vinod

As in other threads I don't want to catch full blown upgradeitis but I do get the feeling that although the 9.1's are fabulous for the money (£100) the next stage will need to be something more substantial...