Using different brand of speakers for the surrounds and upgrading speakers advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I currently have the q acoustic 2000 cinema speakers and onkyo 509 receiver , I am finding the surround speakers too directional , I was wondering if it was ok to use monitor audio bipolar bronze speakers for the surrounds instead or if this would be a bad idea. Would this also be ok for the receiver because the q acoustic speakers are rated at 6 ohms and the monitor audio at 8.

I am also considering upgrading the front 2010s to 2050s and the subwoofer to bk xls200 , although I am not sure if I should save up and switch over to the monitor audio bronze speakers for the fronts instead.

Room size is 10 foot by 10 foot and I mostly use this setup for movies and games.

Any help would really be appreciated , many thanks.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It is not as important for the surrounds to be from the same brand/range and it is for the front three, but it still helps with integration and the smooth panning of surround effects.

I'm not familiar with the Q Acoustic products, but I have always been a big fan of Monitor Audio. If you are thinking of upgrading the fronts too, I would go the whole hog and get a full set of the Bronze's.

That said, the prominence of the surround speakers can have as much to do with placement (both vertically and horizontally) relative to the seating position, and ofcourse proper calibration. If you have the flexibility with your current speakers, try angling them up more towards the ceiling, or pointing them more behind the listening position - both of these should help to create a more diffuse rear sound field - of course make sure you re-calibrate after any repositioing.

TRENDING THREADS