Usiing my wired headphones as a wireless device

Barrykap

Jan 16, 2021
Visit site
I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB700 wired headphones which I love. But I wished they were wireless so that I can walk around the house untethered.
I was thinking of using bluetooth technology to 'convert' these phones to bluetooth. I believe there are lots of BT transmitters (connected to my Amp H/P out) and BT receivers (which I plug my phones into) about but not sure if a receiver I buy would power my phones as the Sony XB take some power to drive. Also the receiver would need to have it's own battery power rather than a mains connected PSU. Has anyone got any suggestions on a good suitable receiver to do this? Thank you.

Gray

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB700 wired headphones which I love. But I wished they were wireless so that I can walk around the house untethered.
I was thinking of using bluetooth technology to 'convert' these phones to bluetooth. I believe there are lots of BT transmitters (connected to my Amp H/P out) and BT receivers (which I plug my phones into) about but not sure if a receiver I buy would power my phones as the Sony XB take some power to drive. Also the receiver would need to have it's own battery power rather than a mains connected PSU. Has anyone got any suggestions on a good suitable receiver to do this? Thank you.
I can understand why you'd want to do it - good idea in theory.
You like the sound of your wired headphones. But becoming BT will take away the SQ advantage they currently have.
Add to that the expense and hassle of doing what you propose......you might as well go for a decent pair of BT phones - with at least as good a sound as your setup would end up with.
I'm a great one for improvisation with a bit of DIY, but there's no point in attempting to reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: Barrykap

Barrykap

Jan 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. I have tried a pair of Skullcandy eco BT phones, but while they have good bass they vibrate too much on the ears, plus the bass is not as smooth or 'warm' as my Sony's. Wonder if you or anyone can recommend a good pair of 'bassy' BT phones I may try. Cheers

Gray

Thanks. I have tried a pair of Skullcandy eco BT phones, but while they have good bass they vibrate too much on the ears, plus the bass is not as smooth or 'warm' as my Sony's. Wonder if you or anyone can recommend a good pair of 'bassy' BT phones I may try. Cheers
Hopefully somebody will be able to make a suggestion for you. Perhaps Sony's own (WH-1000XM3 & 4) models might be worth considering.

(No doubt you could make a very decent BT receiver / headphone amp pack for your wired phones. But it might not be as conveniently portable).

jjbomber

I do more or less what you want. I use an Elegiant BTI-066 receiver to Bose QC2 headphones. You would need a pair of these; one to transmit and one to receive. They about half the size of a *** packet, so you'd probably need the receiver in your pocket as you walk around. I'm not sure if two will connect to each other though; best to ask Elegiant.

D

Deleted member 188533

Perhaps Sony's own (WH-1000XM3 & 4) models might be worth considering.

^ Try these for sure. They very much have a warm and bassy sound signature.

Good review.

Barrykap

Jan 16, 2021
Visit site
^ Try these for sure. They very much have a warm and bassy sound signature.

Good review.

Thanks. Will look for them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts