Usher S520 Speakers

macipod

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi what do people think of these speakers as i am thinking of having a demo would they be ok in smallish living room thanks

T

the record spot

Hi-Fi World raved over them originally (about 12 months ago?) and still gave them the thumbs up in a recent issue - they are now around £320 but that was up from £265 so a pretty steep jump. I think WHF gave them 3 stars recently. Definately worth a listen. Build quality looks extremely good and the design is very appealing (at least to my eyes anyway, but they are a little different which is no bad thing from the usual).

I think, given their dimensions, they would work well in smaller rooms - depending on the partnering equipment and budget, you might also consider AVI Neutrons, but these are getting on for not far off twice the money, but give a superb performance for the price as well as one which belies their stature.

EDIT - of course, the partnering equipment is in the space below your message. Like mine. Doh! What it is to read properly before one types...!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="macipod"]
Hi what do people think of these speakers as i am thinking of having a demo would they be ok in smallish living room thanks
[/quote]

They might have to much bass but its worth a try. Its a speaker my regular haunt stocks and its a good one for the money. Use them with an amplifier that has a good damping factor and you should be ok. IMO better than budget B&W's/MA's but outperformed by Epos and Rega in most respects.

A

Anonymous

really like the thought of theres speakers, anyone listening to them at the moment, or had them???

cheers

reggaedave:

really like the thought of theres speakers, anyone listening to them at the moment, or had them???

cheers

I had the Ushers on trial and they are good. For 300-odd quid they are as good as any at the price; only heard it with Arcam A18 though.

A

Anonymous

Did they have a good bass sound? for a little speaker?

Bi-wirable?

reggaedave:

Did they have a good bass sound? for a little speaker?

Bi-wirable?

Yes, in a word. For a small speaker they produced everything you would expect from a budget stand mount speaker and some....

I was fairly bowled over by them, pleasantly surprised! The only negative is the migraine-inducing colours they come in. If you're not bothered by that (or have a good pair of sunglasses
emotion-4.gif
), then they are highly recommenable. As always, please don't buy on a whim; audition and enjoy!

Good luck, PP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts