Upgrading system

oldlozzer

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a fairly basic system, comprising a NAD C315 amplifier, NAD C515 CD player, pair of Mordaunt Short Avant 902i speakers and Soundstyle Z2 stands. My small sitting room is only about 4m x 4m, and quite heavily furnished. I stream radio and downloaded music through a Logitech Squeezebox.

Although I'm very happy with this system, I'm thinking about how I might upgrade, and what really would be the best way to spend money if I had £200 - £300 to spare. Any advice?

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I'd upgrade the amp for now

£200 should get you a good used NAD C370 off ebay

take your time .... £300 is a good budget especially if you buy 2nd hand

(theres a NAD C162 Pre with a NAD C272 power amp on ebay for £299 on ebay)

lots more bargains

You could look at getting a bit further up the pecking order with a second hand amp.

Personally, I'd look at replacing the speakers, again, you will probably have to look at second hand or ex demo kit.

If you want new speakers, have a look at Q acoustic speakers. You may be able to find a bargain.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
You could look at getting a bit further up the pecking order with a second hand amp.

Personally, I'd look at replacing the speakers, again, you will probably have to look at second hand or ex demo kit.

If you want new speakers, have a look at Q acoustic speakers. You may be able to find a bargain.

most people will say that speakers should be upgraded first ....

however, I take a different view .... get an amp that will get the best performance of the speakers that you have .... enjoy the system and save up .... then at a later stage, upgrade the speakers to match the new amp

your current amp is the weak link IMHO...with your budget, if you buy speakers to match your existing amp now, your next upgrades will be a new amp aswell as new speakers (instead of just one upgrade of better speakers)

Spinola

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi dim_span, i'm looking for a good cd player (around 400€ or less), for my hi-fi system.

My speakers are the Yamaha Soavo 1 DBR.

My AMP is a Yamaha AS201 200W RMS.

To play my cd's i have a DVD/CD SONY RDR HX950 and i'm not very happy with that.... I Think the speakers deserve better. The HX 950 plays ok but i think the device is more for tv and home cinema and not so good for CD.

My RCA cable is a QED Performance Graphite and the speakers cables are QED 79 Strand.

A few friends told me to buy the marantz CD 6005 but i don't what to choose.

What do you think?

Thank you.

My best regards,

Agostinho Spinola

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Spinola said:
Hi dim_span, i'm looking for a good cd player (around 400€ or less), for my hi-fi system.

My speakers are the Yamaha Soavo 1 DBR.

My AMP is a Yamaha AS201 200W RMS.

To play my cd's i have a DVD/CD SONY RDR HX950 and i'm not very happy with that.... I Think the speakers deserve better. The HX 950 plays ok but i think the device is more for tv and home cinema and not so good for CD.

My RCA cable is a QED Performance Graphite and the speakers cables are QED 79 Strand.

A few friends told me to buy the marantz CD 6005 but i don't what to choose.

What do you think?

Thank you.

My best regards,

Agostinho Spinola

Spinola .... I am an old guy .... all my hifi components are old, so I might not be the best person to advise you ...

start a new thread, and you will get lots of advise

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site

hi. is your nad cd player better sounding than your other sources like the squeezebox ? You could try increasing the quality of your files. If you start with poor sound, the other components will not fix this. My money would be on either end of your system, either source or new speakers. I would think the dali zensor 3 speakers would go well with the nad and fit your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts