Upgrading my Amp and what Sub to go for

Matt Ellis

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Denon Integrated Amplifier (PMA-510AE) but unfortunately it does not have a Sub out. I'm looking at upgrading it to one that does but am unsure as to which ones would be best. Any suggestions would be great!

(NB i currently also use a Denon AM-FM Sterio/DAB Tuner and a Denon Compact Disk Player so would it be wise to stay with Denon?)

An extra bit of help would also be great. I'm currently using a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2's so at the moment i'm looking at the sub in the same range (BXW10). I'm looking for one that add's a lot of volume and bass but one that is not toooo expensive so any suggestions on that front would also be fantastic

Thanks a lot!

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello there,

I have the same speakers as you and indeed a sub is essential with them to get any scale and wallop from music. I use a Marantz MCR603 to drive the speakers and it has a dedicated sub out which is useful. I first used a cheap Wharfedale Diamond SW150 but find it hard to recommend due to it sounded a bit slow and the bass had little texture. I quickly moved onto an Acoustic Energy Neo V2 which i find excellent. The bass is particularly fast and tight and goes plenty low enough even only being an 8 inch woofer. Better still there is texture and definition to bass notes and the sub also has some excellent tweaking capability to tune the bass to particular rooms and positioning.

I may be wrong but you do have two sets of speaker connector outs that can be run on that amp at the same time right? If so you could use some of these outputs and look for a sub that will connect to these outs that has speaker line in's. Sadly they are not as common i believe as subs with regular line level in's but it may mean you could forget the new amp and put more down on a better sub?

Good luck with it all!

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Matt Ellis said:
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Denon Integrated Amplifier (PMA-510AE) but unfortunately it does not have a Sub out. I'm looking at upgrading it to one that does but am unsure as to which ones would be best. Any suggestions would be great!

(NB i currently also use a Denon AM-FM Sterio/DAB Tuner and a Denon Compact Disk Player so would it be wise to stay with Denon?)

An extra bit of help would also be great. I'm currently using a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2's so at the moment i'm looking at the sub in the same range (BXW10). I'm looking for one that add's a lot of volume and bass but one that is not toooo expensive so any suggestions on that front would also be fantastic

Thanks a lot!

you don't really need a sub out,you can connect your sub to your existing amp through the high input to the speakers terminals,which is a better way as that way the sub gets the same signal as the speakers,goes along and blends into the system almost unnoticed..i have mine hooked just like that and is ace ;)

TRENDING THREADS