Upgrading my 1995 Rega Planet CDP

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Should I get a Rega DAC? Apparently the old Rega Planet CD players had good transport mechanisms so I'm thinking I could get a good bang for my buck by just upgrading the DAC, or could I get more for my 400-500 quid?

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Unless you have a specific need for a dac, for the top end of your budget you could get a saturn. Better thsn a rega dac in my view.

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Thank you - I thought that might be a recommendation but why? Why would they use a better dac (plus transport and everything else) in a cheaper unit than in their bespoke dac?

Rega saturns do come up on ebay rarely.

If you decide you do want a DAC to enable you to connect other components in the future (laptop etc) then you might be better off looking at the Arcam irDac.

However assuming you can get £200 if you sold your Planet and added that money to your budget you could get a new CDP (not necessarily a Rega).

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I was mixing up my regas. The Saturn is a grand right? I thought it was the same price as a rega dac. Ok, i don't think i can stretch to that, even 2nd hand. So is the arcam irdac better than the rega dac?

Vizzage said:
Sorry I was mixing up my regas. The Saturn is a grand right? I thought it was the same price as a rega dac. Ok, i don't think i can stretch to that, even 2nd hand. So is the arcam irdac better than the rega dac?

A lot of people / reviewers appear to think so, and £100 cheaper. :)

However, as with everything, an audition is highly recommended..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts