Upgrading Cyrus 6 gradually

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The cyrus upgrade bug has bitten. I've been reading lots of forums and would greatly appreciate whether anyone would recommend the below plan for a gradual upgrade process. I only have about £250-£300 at present. Please tell me if this insufficient for a noticeable upgrade!. Obviously 2nd hand is my path.

Start with a cyrus power amp. Bi-amp with the 6vs2. Which power amp though? Is the 6 worthwhile?

Given some time, sell the integrated and swap with a prevs2.

Finally - Speaker upgrade.

As you can see, I'm not really planning on upgrading the cd player as I think alot of my future listening will be PC based so I'm focusing on the amp.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Not necessarily the "Cyrus upgrade bug" as since you're buying used (not factory upgrading) you could actually buy any kit you want, but you won't find anything other than a used 6 Power for that money - maybe an 8. I don't know much about the power amps prior to that, though the Smartpowers seem well-rated and may well go for that money. I doubt you'd find an X Power but you never know.

Nothing wrong with your plan, you could of course use your current 6vs (it is integrated right?) as a pre to the power amp you buy rather than bi-amp, if pre-power is the direction you intend to head in anyway. If you've been reading forums recently you may also have noticed that alternative preamps, e.g. Rotel and Nad, have been suggested as suitable partners to Cyrus power amps (this forum, yesterday).

sweety7272

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, i'm about halfway through the journey you are about to embark upon! I've had a 6VS for ages, and originally had it going into some Quad 11Ls - sound was lovely and clear, but the bass was a bit muddy and boomed horribly when it was loud. I thought that a bit more power was needed, so went for a Linkpower bi-amped with the 6VS (linkpower is pretty much the same as the 6 power). The sound was improved, and there was a bit more guts to it, but the improvement was not what I would call noticeable. I then sold the Linkpower on, and put that money towards an X-power. Now that is a real night and day difference - I've got it on power duties just using the pre-outs from the 6VS. The X-power is a real step up in terms of treble clarity and bass control from the 6VS on its own.

I then sorted out the real problem once and for all - got some ATC SCM11s which are a true delight, and have lovely controlled and tuneful bass from any position (mine have to be right up against the wall).

So next step for me would be to get the 6VS swapped out for a Pre of some sorts, but to be honest, I'm so happy with the sound right now I can't be bothered!

So my advice would be to try bi-amping if you like, but don't expect to hear a massive difference. If you stick with Cyrus, it may be worth you trying the Smartpower (or Smartpower +) route, as future upgrade is to add another and have a mono set up. Buying second hand is of course the only way to do this, and you should be able to get one for your budget from auction site or another brand specific forum that you've no doubt seen....

If you can be patient, and save up a bit more, then the X-power is the way to go. Again, they do come up s/hand, I got mine repro from a retailer for £700, so expect a bit less than that s-hand.

Have fun!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for that. Sounds like you have a cracking system there, intrigued to see you went 6vs and mono and that it works! I dont' have and won't have the money for that for a while.

I figure for about £400 I can swap out my 6vs2 integrated for the pre equivalent and get a smart power + for the whole pre/power hog. On the flip side - that kind of budget pushes me toward some very nice speakers, if I was to sell mine. Choices choices.

Anyone have any strong feelings on whether the smartpower + is worth the extra £100 odd it seems to be over a regular older smartpower?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts