Upgrading 10yr old Marantz system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have the following combo and I am thinking of upgrading.

Marantz CD67 MKII, Marantz PM-66SE, B&W 705s.

Based on current reviews, my problem is this - would I be better going for just the Roksan Kandy Amp and keeping the current CD player or upgrading both the Amp and CD to either the Rotel 04 Amp and 06 CD or Marantz CD6002 with 7001 Amp.

My local dealers dont carry both Rotel and Marantz, so I cant try them together. However, I do plan to listen first and compare to my current setup. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. I find the current setup is rather warm and looses detail in the midtone and I would like more clarity.

A

Anonymous

My guess would be that the amp is the one to upgrade first. Something with a cleaner, more open sound. Warm is not a bad thing tho, i would always prefer that to cold / bright.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, so I would be better to keep the existing CD for now and go all out on a decent amp like the Kandy ?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Nice set up, esp the speakers. I agree that the amp is def the weakest link there. I had the Marantz CD67SE which was fantastic. Unfort I had to buy a Roksan Kandy III when the 67's transport broke on me ;-) The upgrade surprised me in just how much more detail could be gained for c.300 quid more, but I miss the warmth of the 67!

When I tried the Kandy amp with the Kandy CDP and MA RS1s, I found the whole thing far too bright. Thus, if you intend on keeping your CDP then the Kandy amp would probably be ideal. I switched the Kandy amp for the Rotel RA03, taking the edge off things. It's still pretty bright, but I need to think about the future when making my excuses for buying a Quad99/909 amp...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts