Upgrades for my RP3 based system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought a Rega RP3 with TTPSU and Ortofon 2M red, to play vinyl again and loving the sound, but I know that plugging this through my Denon DF107DAB, SFC107 speakers on Atacama stands and QED anniversary cable is giving on some records a rather muddled bass. I would like to know an upgrade path for this set up without breaking the bank, as ive just spent a few bob on the turntable set up. Would it be wise to try a new phono pre amp into the Denon or just replace the Denon with a new amplifier, keeping the speakers for now. Or just changing the speakers and then the amp? I welcome your comments. Budget is £500 and I listen mostly to jazz, blues, 80’s, synth, Tangerine dream, JMJ, classical.

Its only a personal opinion but I would go and spend the majority of your budget on an new amp (unless you absolutely must have the DAB radio facility), sell the Denon DF107 and use the proceeds and a bit from your budget to later upgrade your speakers. There are some good speakers around now under £200

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is a simple and cheap start:

fleBay: SRM-TECH-SUB-PLATTER-DAMPING-KIT-REGA-TURNTABLES, item number: 330704571577

Its not a joke, I have spent a lot of time upgrading my Rega TT, this is where I started.

At £15 + p&p its a bargain and leaves you 99% of your budget to move on . . . if you need to? 8)

Pointer, try all 12 section in place first, then remove 2, (oposing sections to maintain ballance), see how it sounds, I preferred it this way, opened the sound up nicely

CJSF

Carlosfandango101 said:
Ok what do you suggest amp and speakers

Sorry, been away for the weekend. Not too sure where you are or what dealers you might have access to. For a budget of £500 do you want new or would you accept second-hand kit? If new try to audition Marantz PM6004 with Dali Zensor 1 speakers or Rotel RA04SE with Boston Acoustics A25 speakers. If second hand many combinations could be suggested. Audition whatever you can as what you find a good combination might be completely different to me.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
Here is a simple and cheap start:

fleBay: SRM-TECH-SUB-PLATTER-DAMPING-KIT-REGA-TURNTABLES, item number: 330704571577

Its not a joke, I have spent a lot of time upgrading my Rega TT, this is where I started.

At £15 + p&p its a bargain and leaves you 99% of your budget to move on . . . if you need to? 8)

Pointer, try all 12 section in place first, then remove 2, (oposing sections to maintain ballance), see how it sounds, I preferred it this way, opened the sound up nicely

CJSF

You dont want to 'break the bank' . . . OK try this first, it has the potential to help sort the base out . . . and tidy up the rest as well . . . 8) unless you realy want to spend £500 . . . ?

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, i have now two roads to go down a) Rega Brio R and then wait to save up for the speakers, or b) Marantz PM6004 and Dali/ Kef Q300's. If i go down the Marantz road this will lead to matching CD player and Tuner, but i dont want to compromise the phono stage. Anybody got any reviews of the Marantz?

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, i have now two roads to go down a) Rega Brio R and then wait to save up for the speakers, or b) Marantz PM6004 and Dali/ Kef Q300's. If i go down the Marantz road this will lead to matching CD player and Tuner, but i dont want to compromise the phono stage. Anybody got any reviews of the Marantz?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts