upgradeitus dilema!!

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
gona get rid of substandard home cinema audio setup & dvd that i dont often use and put it to hifi upgrade. what first ? i like the ca 640v2 combo can get cheap as chips at mo, i formerly had the 54o v1 and they were better than ive got now. or blow the budget on speakers £400 can get alot from fleabay ?

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
sorry, thats probably vague - the missus was over my shoulder and her least favourite word is ' upgrade ' !!!

i used to own the ca 540v2 cdp + amp combo with ms 9012i standmounts. it was good and beats the system i have now. i got rid of it coz the little 1 was coming along and i thought we would get more use out of a decent av setup, as we wouldnt be out so much, plus less opportunities to crank up a hifi etc.

however i still have the bug big time. i got a cheap retro setup from ebay ( as i keep banging on about in previous posts!!!! ) its ok, and i believe the rotel kit was quite sought after in its day - especially the cdp. it just isnt giving me the vibe i had from my previous system. i suspect the speakers are the weakest link, they have good detail, but they seem to get jumbled up, without the clarity my old ms could produce - much less spacious, tho one thing i do like about them is the suprising fast reasonably tight bass they can produce, especially with stuff like michael jackson, madonna, lady gaga etc , though at the same time, when they need to go really low they do go boomy. maybe they suffer from the low rated amp not driving them properly ? its only 30w pc.

i wasnt going to bother upgrading for a while yet, but there seems good deals about. i would like to hear from anyone re the ca640v2 combo - its highly rated, but would it give as much improvement as say, keeping the cdp & amp i have, and spending £400 - £500 on speakers, and updating the components when the cash is available. i listen to all types from dylan to amy winehouse to oasis to disco, so want an all round system, but priority would be rock.

also im not sure my rumour 2 is ideal for the setup i have, its a touch harsh at times, and may not be ideal if i do get a cambridge setup again, so what alternatives ? most of the spkr cables at £5 - £10 seem to be silver. would qed be any less forgiving in the treble ?

all help/opinions appreciated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts