admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I am maybe looking at maybe upgrading my hifo. Currently I own the following;
  • Arcam CD72
  • Arcam A85
  • B&W CDM 1NT
I want to eventually move over to a Home Cinema system, but currently I am looking adding a radio, adding a DAC or upgrade one of the components, but not sure where to start.... Any suggestions? Budget around 1000 and in the future towards 2000. Main music interests are pop and dance music.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Rudolf

matthewpiano

Add an Arcam power amp to the A85 (for bi-amping) and upgrade the CD player to a CD192. I think you'll see a big step forward.

If you wish to add a radio and are not bothered about DAB at this point, seek out a Denon TU260L. You'll struggle to better it without spending a lot more money. If DAB is important to you, a Denon TU1800DAB will do the trick.

Add a Musical Fidelity V-DAC or Beresford Caiman DAC for PC-based music, and you'll have made significant upgrades to your whole system.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Deffo agree with the above comments by PP or possibly look to add the Rega Apollo as well OR sell the CD72 and aim for a Rega Saturn.

It'd be handy to know what speaker cable and interconnects youre using and also what music you generally listen to?

Have you thought about an upgrade to the speakers, possibly along the lines of PMC or ATC's? I think even the M/A GS10's could be an improvement somewhere along the lines

A

Anonymous

Thanks so far for the input.

As far as I am right, I do hav audioquest type 4 speaker cables and audioquest copperhead interconnects. Most of the time I do listen to pop music (ala Moby) and techno.

Maybe a good start to sell the CD72.. and investigate upgrading the speakers.. but will do that in looking towards a 5.1 system.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I listen to a fair bit of electronica and similar (Moby, Fischerspooner, Massive Attack etc...) so deep, taut bass and good overall soundstage/clarity is important to me.

I think the likes of the Monitor Audio RX range would be well worth looking at
emotion-1.gif

The Arcam A85 integrated is a damn good amp so I think you'd have to spend close to £1k to better it IMO.

I think the CDP can be bettered though and it would be the Rega Apollo at a minimum...

The likes of the Chord Carnival Silverscreen or QED Revelation speaker cable would give you a boost in soundstage and interconnects such as the Atlas Equator, Chord Crimson or the Black Rhodium Prelude would be good change as well.

The B&W CDM 1NT speakers are very good and cedrtainly have some good clout about them What stands are you using currently and are they mass loaded at all?

T

the record spot

rudolf12:
Thanks so far for the input.

As far as I am right, I do hav audioquest type 4 speaker cables and audioquest copperhead interconnects. Most of the time I do listen to pop music (ala Moby) and techno.

Maybe a good start to sell the CD72.. and investigate upgrading the speakers.. but will do that in looking towards a 5.1 system.

I use the same cables for my speakers and have done for years. They're fine. You'll get more mileage for your money by choosing a sensible upgrade and leaving the cables alone. They do bass, they do it well, spending £100-£200 on cables will not improve your lot, better components might. If you want tighter and deeper bass, get a pair of speakers that does that well, or a CDP that does likewise. The CD72 was okay, but you could improve on it I'm sure. Just find one that delivers the kind of fast and deep sound you want and you're in.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
buy cheap and good cables.I got a few month ago a flat cable all copper from philips..thought id be good...but...such a piece of...made music confusing..replaced it with other philips cheap cable but normal.one strand coated in silver other strand copper.and it all came back.so carefull when choosing cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts