Upgrade old speakers for new AV receiver or not

guy

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, need some help please. About 6 months ago I bought the Yamaha Aventage a1000 AV receiver which was an upgrade to an older Yamaha receiver, and just love it. One of the reasons for getting this over the Pioneer was down to the fact I have a set of Mordaunt Shorts and knew the warmness to the Yamaha's sound would complement the slight brightness of the speakers. They are; MS904 Declaration floorstanders, MS Avant 902i for the rears/ surrounds and Avant 905i for the centre. As you can tell these speakers are all about 10 years old and still sound really good, but what I'm most concerned about is, am I missing out on a lot of the receivers potential and should I upgrade the speakers? With the common philosophy being 40% budget on the receiver/ amp and 60% on the speakers, it would seem I'm some way short and should upgrade, however if you take into account age of the speakers, therefore run in and sounding great, and the price paid all that time ago I don't think I'm far out. What do you guys think, does the Aventage a1000 deserve better speakers and if so what's the suggestion?

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Guy,

I have MS Pageant 2 with my Arcam Hifi and these speakers are 30 yrs old. My home cinema comprises an Onkyo 905 with B&W 685 Theatre with a Denon DVD player and Panasonic DMR BWT 720. As you will see I keep my kit for a long time and spend my money on DVDs , Bluerays and LPs or CDs. One of my friends had upgradeitis and eventually started buying Bluerays and DVDs and stopped changing his equipment every 3 - 4 years!

You could demo alternative speakers at the dealer where you bought your Yamaha Aventage receiver and see if you prefer any to your Mordaunt Shorts.

Best Wishes

Chris

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree with the other 2 guys and demo any speakers before hand.

Obviously you're going to be spending a great deal of money to get a similar or slightly better sound, like you said your speakers are run in and you're used to that sound, so is it worth it?

The only other thing is if you're going to have a 2nd system, then you could transfer the older speakers over to that system.

TRENDING THREADS