Upgrade for great (!) system (Primare+CM7)?

fouad

Jun 12, 2003
Visit site
Hi all (thanks for all of your threads, I am an avid new reader),

At last, after many yrs of mortgage payments [:'(][st], I am the proud owner of the Primare CD31 and I30 integrated with B&W CM7 (Electronics ex-display at 33% disc! Speakers new). Audioquest Type 8 and King Cobra XLR interconects. The sound is everything I was looking for: analytical yet warm and emotional. I would say liquid, lush (if that makes any sense!!??). Also looks like a million $. Cool [:p]

Now, I have a medium-large living room (16ftX24ft - that is why I just left the UK! [ip]) which moreover tapers even wider at the back, a bit like an ... auditorium. As a teenager of the 80's, I listen to Pink Floyd, Supertramp, etc. but also to classic & jazz. The sound is sublime. Alas, I am an audiophile: with rock/pop I find the sound a little lean. I guess my large V-shape room avoids reverberation but also requires power? B&W told me that after 1 month my (new) CM7s will open up. They did (or I am getting more used to the sound! Or both!).

HOWEVER, what would you recommend as an upgrade for next year? I was looking for some more 'drama' or 'punch'. (a) Add the ASW10cm or PV1 sub (£800-950 approx)? (b) Add the A33.2 power amp (£1,800)? Any other routes? Could I destroy the balance I have now? Because the music is involving, delicate, emotional. I am just looking for a bit more slam at first but also always eager to improve and progress. (c) Would the 805 Diamond with a sub or the 804 floorstander move me into another league? Budget is not an issue for what is mentioned above as I might take a few years of gradual upgrade anyway... (but the 804 is not cheap!! I 'll have to wait longer). Also, I want to retain this system as a foundation.

Thanks again !!

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Since you already have floorstanding speakers, I think you would miss the bass and authority, if you bought the B&W 805 Diamonds, even with a sub, but the 804 sounds interesting ;)

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
I think you should listen to PMC FB1i's.I auditioned them with Primare i30 amp as I have the A30.5 and thought they went together beautifully.I then auditioned the OB1i's and they were sensational but very sadly too big for the arbiter of good taste in my household!! The FB1i's are still in residence though and still sounding great.

TRENDING THREADS