Upgrade Advice Please

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my Rotel RA-01 amp. It is connected to two Rotel RB-03 power amps mono blocked, an Arcam CD 92 and B&W 602 S3 speakers. I don't really want to get rid of my power amps so was wondering what to replace the RA-01 amp with?

Is the Rotel RA-04 a decent upgrade or would you think I ought to be looking at something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for any help!

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
andrewknight:What are your reasons for wanting/needing an upgrade? This info would be handy for reference.

Sorry, I'm just looking to try and improve the overall sound quality. If I was to be critical of my current set up I would say that the treble is a little harsh at higher volumes, plus I'm sure my Arcam CD92 is more suited to a more expensive amp?

A

Anonymous

I've never heard the RC-06, but I've still got an RA-01 gathering dust somewhere. I found that amp comparable to my Cambridge audio A1. i.e. a very budget amp, but with great kick for your money.

The RC-06 is almost certainly a considrable improvement over the pre-amp in the RA-01. I havent heard it, but I'm guessing it would be a bit night and day for you. Sounds like it is a good partner for your power amps too as this guy has been running the RC06 and the RB03s, says so in the auction details.

You can get it new and in silver here: http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=4263

I would, of course, audition before buying. You may wish to give the audiolab 8000q or 8000c a try also but they may be out your price range.

A

Anonymous

I used to use a Rotel RA03 integrated as a preamp and found that the midrange wasn't too good. I changed to a used AVI S2000MP pre (£150) and gained a lot in clarity and bass control. I would hunt around for something a bit more of a step up to the Rotel series. Examples are Quad 99, AVI S2000MP, AVI Lab series pre, Rega Cursa or even a passive pre like the Creek OBH12.

A

Anonymous

I've been told from a friend of mine that the Technics KIT-SC-EH790 is a quality piece of kit,

Hope this helps you. I have sent you a photo for reference.

technics_sc_eh790.jpg

A

Anonymous

Originally created by Panasonic to show off their high-end offerings, by the early 1980s Technics ended up offering an entire range of equipment from entry-level to high-end.

Matsushita retired the Technics name almost completely in the early 2000s. Currently, it's used on the 1200 series turntables, and digital pianos, thus limiting their dealerships to music/pro audio stores.

I just think that the legacy Technics systems are as good as the ones today

T

the record spot

I think I might be more inclined to upgrade the speakers ahead of the amp; the B&Ws are decent enough, but with that amplification on tap, I think something a little higher up the batting order might be worth considering.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:I think I might be more inclined to upgrade the speakers ahead of the amp; the B&Ws are decent enough, but with that amplification on tap, I think something a little higher up the batting order might be worth considering.

I must admit I've not considered upgrading my speakers simply because I think they're great. What would you recommend to audition?

A

Anonymous

I agree but i would stay away from Mission 752 speakers and go with Klipsch RF-82

T

the record spot

That applies if you want earth plundering bass, but and as JM87 has already mentioned them, the 752 does a good line in bass, but it's more realistic rather than excessive or OTT. I used to worry they were too lean, but my current set-up gives me all the bass I need; plentiful, realistic - all present and correct. I wouldn't part with them just yet and there's not a whole lot on the current market that would beat them in a hurry.

You might also be interested to know that you can pick these up for less than £100 a pair, originally selling for £550-600 in 1995 and they're typically well looked after most of the time. Mine cost me £80 last November and they are stunning. That is to say, they suit my tastes well. Just pick the right electronics to partner them; it's all about synergy after all.

So, my advice would be not to stay away from them, but to do some reading up and see if they might work for you; Hi Fi World describe them in their "World Classics" bi-monthly listings summary as "Cracking Henry Azima designed floorstanders combined HDA drive units and metal tweeters with surprisingly warm results. Benign load characteristics make them great for valves". I don't hear them as warm, just accurate. Certainly wouldn't say they had a "warm and fuzzy" sound when listening to them. Horses for courses though.

You might prefer something more substantial however, so the Klipsch boxes might do it for you. I'd point you towards Leema's £650 Xero standmounter, Dynaudio's Audience 52SE, and the ATC's at circa £800-odd if you can go that far. Floorstanders, used Mission 753 or 753F (both have their fans as do the Mission 752 and 752F), Monitor Audio RS6, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6,

T

the record spot

matthewpiano:jmarshall1987:
I agree but i would stay away from Mission 752 speakers and go with Klipsch RF-82

Who mentioned Mission 752s??

LOL, that little nugget hadn't slipped me by either Matthew! Still, as the chap was good enough to mention the rather nifty Mission boxes, who am I to pass up the offer...Dansette anyone?!

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

I think I should have mentioned. My room is only 3 m by 4 m so floorstanders are not really suitable. I listen to rock/metal music so like a punchy system but with plenty of bass weight. Looks like I'm going to have to do quite a bit of research!

A

Anonymous

My granddad has one of these too. im glad your a fan of them but i prefer Technics

A

Anonymous

Im not 100% sure i will ask my granddad next time i see him. There is a awesome new feed on Technics.

I think you may like it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts