Underworld trilogy on blu-ray

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just a word of warning on this - this is another of those fabulous releases from EIV (which DJ Krime had good fun with for the last few weeks) where the UK basically get an inferior transfer to the rest of the world. In this case, the main complaint being the soundtrack, which for the UK is only Dolby Digital whereas the US get PCM lossless and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks. I'm also led to believe the video transfer isn't as good (though haven't been able to confirm if it's 1080i like The Reader, or 1080p but definitely uses a codec which isn't as good as the one used on the US disc).

At any rate, £17.99 is very cheap for all three films on Blu-Ray, but the US and Australian versions of the films offer a better transfer it seems so up to you whether you want to pay more for this.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Even at £17.99 I would avoid this box set and as the Prof said pay more and get either the US set or Australian set as the UK EIV release is definatly all encoded @1080i/50htz and with naff audio by BD standards.

All previous EIV BD's were encoded @1080i and it is only from now on that they will be encoded @1080p/24fps (would like to think it has something to do with my being a right pain in their a### over the last few months regarding their rather shoddy UK BD's to date with some help of the WHSAV team
emotion-2.gif
)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
bought this box set anyway as thought would sit and watch my way through them over the weekend - all three films say full hd on the box but whether thats 1080i or 1080p really should be 1080p otherwise think its misleading - 1st film says 5.1 surround sound, 2nd films lists dolby digital 5.1 and the 3rd film states dolby truehd 5.1 sound track so will see.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:

all three films say full hd on the box but whether thats 1080i or 1080p really should be 1080p otherwise think its misleading

This was exactly my arguement with EIV, have a read of THIS THREAD for their pathetic excusses.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:1st film says 5.1 surround sound, 2nd films lists dolby digital 5.1 and the 3rd film states dolby truehd 5.1 sound track so will see.

Be good to know exactly what soundtrack is on which film as well since my only source was mostly hearsay from people on other forums, so good to have some "real" knowledge!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:Which other movies are released by EIV?

There are quite a few but some are Death Sentance, The Reader, Miri and Zack make a P####, The Women, Bangkok Dangerious the list goes on.

All are in 1080i and all it says on the box is FULL HD with no referance to a exact resolution but according to EIV's spokesperson that spoek to Tom Parsons all future EIV titles will be in 1080p.

A

Anonymous

cheers guys, damn shame my shoot em up is by EIV too, but when i put it in my sony bdp s350 it keeps sayin 1080p/24 is that right?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:cheers guys, damn shame my shoot em up is by EIV too, but when i put it in my sony bdp s350 it keeps sayin 1080p/24 is that right?

Shoot'em up was the rare exception to the EIV rule in that the disc was a direct port of the US New Line Cinema disc. New Line is the parent company of EIV all of which are under the Warner company.

A

Anonymous

Phew! Thats a relief. EIV surely shouldnt be allowed to call 1080i Full HD, the industry knows Full HD is 1080p.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Unlike HD Ready - where there's a set spec - there is no industry standard for 'Full HD'. Which is why you get different manufacturers calling it different things -eg ' HD Ready 1080' etc.

But yes, it's still potentially misleading....

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Unlike HD Ready - where there's a set spec - there is no industry standard for 'Full HD'. Which is why you get different manufacturers calling it different things -eg ' HD Ready 1080' etc.

But yes, it's still potentially misleading....

How did full HD miss out then everthing else is ratified by standards USB, HDMI , 1.3 etc, why is full HD any different , an industry C* up but because of imminent UK digital switchover keep it low profile?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts