Tweaks, Upgrades and Tests

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I have driven myself quite mad over the last week trying out some upgrade possibilities - a friend who has a decent range of cables kindly lent me a few to try - eventually it has been a success but what is clear is that it isnt easy to work out if a new cable is actually better. I know many people post about cables and tweaks and as i like reading and learning i thought id post.

Taking my amp/cd/speaker as unchangeable now i decided to see how i could best improve things with a £150 budget.

Speaker Cable - only had a couple to try here from my chord silverscreen (£6pm), some Chord rumour (£15pm) and Chord epic twin (£35pm). There was a definate improvement here for me, particularly the Epic which really tightened the bassline and improved the layers of different rhythms such that they were easier to follow. So the more expensive speaker cable was a real hit as a good upgrade.

Interconnects - i had quite a few to try alongside VDH Name and Chord Cobra 3 including VDH D102, Chord Chameleon Silver Plus, VDH Thunderline, VDH First Ultimate and Audio Emerald. Despite using multiple inputs on the cd player to make it easier to compare i have to say that there really wasnt very much improvement from any of these over the Name and Cobra 3. The best of them all was VDH First Ultimate which is c£170 and this was the clearest. But compared to the speaker cable improvement this was very marginal indeed and the best overall value seemed to remain in the £50 interconnects.

Bi-wiring - this actually surprised me the most as it really did make a difference. i bi-wired using 2 chord cables from separate outputs and it added nicely to the overall sound presented particularly in the treble and midrange - things like acoustic guitar strummed a little more openly for instance and electronic synths were more vibrant. in fact the more i listen to bi-wired the more i like it - i switched back after an extended listen and to be honest i now miss the extra vibrancy and soundstage.

In the end i am spending my money on a 2m run of chord epic twin which gives me a better run of cable and the option to bi-wire in one outlay. i am currently bi-wiring the epic for the low frequency with my older chord silverscreen as the run for the high frequency. Maybe ill get 2 runs of Epic eventually but i havent tried it to see if thats any better. For me single speaker cable upgrade was the best option, then adding the bi-wire option and last would be interconnect.

A

Anonymous

Nice post. Check eBay for speaker cable bargains, as I did, allowing me to biwire cheaply.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

A couple of other tweaks you could try. To get some BD pyramid cones under your cd player and pre amp if you have one. On my system it improved seperation of instruments and clarity, tighten the bass etc. Maybe try some shielded mains cable which can open up a soundstage.

Cheers,

Steve.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crusaderlord:I have driven myself quite mad over the last week trying out some upgrade possibilities - a friend who has a decent range of cables kindly lent me a few to try - eventually it has been a success but what is clear is that it isnt easy to work out if a new cable is actually better. I know many people post about cables and tweaks and as i like reading and learning i thought id post.Taking my amp/cd/speaker as unchangeable now i decided to see how i could best improve things with a £150 budget.Speaker Cable - only had a couple to try here from my chord silverscreen (£6pm), some Chord rumour (£15pm) and Chord epic twin (£35pm). There was a definate improvement here for me, particularly the Epic which really tightened the bassline and improved the layers of different rhythms such that they were easier to follow. So the more expensive speaker cable was a real hit as a good upgrade.Interconnects - i had quite a few to try alongside VDH Name and Chord Cobra 3 including VDH D102, Chord Chameleon Silver Plus, VDH Thunderline, VDH First Ultimate and Audio Emerald. Despite using multiple inputs on the cd player to make it easier to compare i have to say that there really wasnt very much improvement from any of these over the Name and Cobra 3. The best of them all was VDH First Ultimate which is c£170 and this was the clearest. But compared to the speaker cable improvement this was very marginal indeed and the best overall value seemed to remain in the £50 interconnects.Bi-wiring - this actually surprised me the most as it really did make a difference. i bi-wired using 2 chord cables from separate outputs and it added nicely to the overall sound presented particularly in the treble and midrange - things like acoustic guitar strummed a little more openly for instance and electronic synths were more vibrant. in most cases this was better but now and again a track i knew well actually was better on single chord epic where it gave a slightly leaner presentation but as a result the drums are a little more prominent against the rest. so a matter of taste perhaps but overall i would take the bi-wire cable option but as a separate run from amp to speaker.In the end i spent my money on a 2m run of chord epic twin and am currently bi-wiring it for the low frequency with my older chord silverscreen as the run for the high frequency. Maybe ill get 2 runs of Epic eventually but i havent tried it to see if thats any better. For me single speaker cable upgrade was the best option, then adding the bi-wire option and last would be interconnect.

Mr Crusaderlord, the best upgrade you could do is to buy yourself a nice Arcam power amp. I will then be very jealous of you.

ÿ

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Joelsim - i do have the FMJ power amp on my long term list but i will be waiting for a good deal on ebay - probably a 2009 upgrade to be realistic

Stephennic - ive not seen any of the pyramids but will research it. i have the SRM/Tech Silent Stage 3's on my try out wish list for isolation and also to provide a nice platform for the amp and cd on my sideboard

I am deliberately upgrading bit by bit as this is half the fun of the hobby for me. also trying to get good value for money on any upgrade. so for instance i doubt ill buy an interconnect for long while given my findings

Ive done quite a lot this year so far and got very lucky to meet a guy who lent me cables or i may never have got all this trialing done.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

The BDR cones are called black diamond racing pyramid cones, there are two versions Mk 3 (warmer) and Mk4 (more detailed). There are many isolation supports you could try- for example: vibrapods and nordost pulsar points. Maybe try before you buy as they have different effect on different equipment.

Have a good day.

Steve.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
For those following the thread i have to say my upgrade spending is done.

After about 3/4 weeks of testing cables, interconnects and other bits and bobs i spent my budget on 2 runs of Chord Epic Twin cables. Not only is this a significantly better cable than my Chord Silverscreen but also enabled me to bi-wire (i got 2 separate cable runs so that one day i can bi-amp).

The combination of both new cable and bi-wire is astounding in its clarity and expanded soundstaging. If i switch back to my one run of my old cable i know i have made a good investment. Chord Epic is very good stuff.

Also as the CD and Amp were on a wooden sideboard i added 2 SRM-Tech Silent Stage 6B isolation platforms for their looks as much as their sound improvement. But yes it did tighten up the lowest bass enough to improve detail and remove the occasional annoying low vibration i got.

Overall the system is now pretty much as i want it to be - and looks and sound even better than it did. Hopefully im done for a year or so now hehe.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
As I said, add a power amp to your Xmas list and I guarantee that by 7:30am on 25th December there'll be a post saying how amazing it now sounds.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts