TVs and the Warranty Issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

Do you think you would be not smart to buy a tv today without a 5 year warranty?

Would you risk it with only a one year warranty?

Any help or advice much appeciated.

Thanks

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gel:

Hi

Do you think you would be not smart to buy a tv today without a 5 year warranty?

Thanks

My last big TV lasted 13 years and was still working when I gave it away. OIur bedroom TV did break after 15 years.

A five year warranty is nice (I have one) but it was not a deal breaker.

D

Deleted member 2457

tvspecv:go for the five most retailers are offering it free online by the way gel what tv are you finally getting?

Well, I have pretty much decided and have had a few more demos recently but now i am pretty much faced with the warranty issue.

Not sure whether to let on but nothing is sealed yet so...., i have been offered a good deal but it's only with a one year warranty and that has pretty left it in the stalled mode.

I have had my head in the 5 year warranty thing, but it is going to cost £150 more.

D

Deleted member 2457

hammill:gel:

Hi

Thanks

My last big TV lasted 13 years and was still working when I gave it away. OIur bedroom TV did break after 15 years.

A five year warranty is nice (I have one) but it was not a deal breaker.

I know what you mean, my current tv was purchased on a one year warranty but have had a couple of minor issues and not sure i want to go there again.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Arggghhhhhhh! How many more times do I have to post the following info???!!!
emotion-4.gif

In effect, all TVs/hifi/AV kit etc purchased in the UK that costs over £100 has a default six-year warranty - it's standard UK consumer rights/law blah, blah. If the TV/hifi/AV kit etc expires within six years, then it's deemed "not fit for purpose" according to UK law.

The 'warranty' is actually with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

If your TV develops a fault within six years, then the retailer is obliged to get it repaired - and the retailer must cover/pay the costs of parts and labour.

Therefore, five-year warranties are: a) a con; b) a waste of time; c) a waste of money (you end up paying in some shape or form).

For example, in Dec '09 my 2.5-year-old Pana plasma developed a terminal fault - a thin green vertical line in the middle of the screen. Consequently, it required a new panel. Cost to repair? Approx £700.

I contacted Trading Standards/Consumer Direct and they advised me re the six-year rule. In short, my TV was repaired and I paid now't.
emotion-19.gif

What happens if the retailer has ceased trading since the TV was purchased? If the TV was purchased with a credit card, then the credit card co assumes the liability for repair costs (parts and labour).
emotion-2.gif

Ergo, always buy TV/hifi/AV kit with a credit card.
emotion-5.gif

(BTW, WHF?S&V, wouldn't it be useful if the above info/guidance - written in a more succinct, legalise-style - was permanently posted on this site, please?)

D

Deleted member 2457

6th.replicant:Arggghhhhhhh! How many more times do I have to post the following info???!!!
emotion-4.gif
In effect, all TVs/hifi/AV kit etc purchased in the UK that costs over £100 has a default six-year warranty - it's standard UK consumer rights/law blah, blah. If the TV/hifi/AV kit etc expires within six years, then it's deemed "not fit for purpose" according to UK law. The 'warranty' is actually with the retailer, not the manufacturer. If your TV develops a fault within six years, then the retailer is obliged to get it repaired - and the retailer must cover/pay the costs of parts and labour. Therefore, five-year warranties are: a) a con; b) a waste of time; c) a waste of money (you end up paying in some shape or form). For example, in Dec '09 my 2.5-year-old Pana plasma developed a terminal fault - a thin green vertical line in the middle of the screen. Consequently, it required a new panel. Cost to repair? Approx £700. I contacted Trading Standards/Consumer Direct and they advised me re the six-year rule. In short, my TV was repaired and I paid now't.
emotion-19.gif
What happens if the retailer has ceased trading since the TV was purchased? If the TV was purchased with a credit card, then the credit card co is liable for repair costs (parts and labour).
emotion-2.gif
emotion-5.gif
(BTW, WHF?S&V, wouldn't it be useful if the above info/guidance - written in a more succinct, legalise-style - was permanently posted on this site, please?)

Thanks for posting it again
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Was the process you went through to get your money back an easy one? How long did it take and what did you go through?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Ravey Gravey Davy:Is it a bricks and mortar shop you have the deal from.If so and if they sell it at John Lewis see if they will price match and get their automatic 5 year.

John Lewis is currently not an option but if it turned into one i am pretty sure it would not help me here.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
gel:...Was the process you went through to get your money back an easy one...
No refund/"money back" - the TV's panel was replaced (with an new and upgraded spec version), foc.

gel:...How long did it take and what did you go through?
First contacted retailer, which tried to fob me off with, "Because the guarantee has expired, you need to contact Panasonic..." I then politely but firmly advised the retailer that I was aware of UK consumer law/rights re the six-year rule, which the retailer subsequently acknowledged.

However, I'd purchased online (retailer is also a 'bricks and mortar' outlet) and the shop is 200 miles from my home. So, we agreed to liaise via Panasonic and I took the TV to one of Panasonic's general 'service centres', which is 2 miles from my home. Five 'working days' later I collected the repaired TV.

Also, AFAIK if a TV is purchased via Amazon or Play.com, then they have a deal with the manufacturers for home visits and collect/return re repairs. For example, I bought a Samsung LCD TV from Play.com in mid-'03. After 2 years and 3 months it developed a terminal fault. I contacted Play, it gave me a tel nos at Samsung and instructions to quote various Play-related refs; 48hrs later, a Samsung engineer arrived at my home and fixed the TV (replaced a c. £350 circuit board thingy), foc.

D

Deleted member 2457

6th.replicant:gel:...Was the process you went through to get your money back an easy one... No refund/"money back" - the TV's panel was replaced (with an new and upgraded spec version), foc. gel:...How long did it take and what did you go through? First contacted retailer, which tried to fob me off with, "Because the guarantee has expired, you need to contact Panasonic..." I then politely but firmly advised the retailer that I was aware of UK consumer law/rights re the six-year rule, which the retailer subsequently acknowledged. However, I'd purchased online (retailer is also a 'bricks and mortar' outlet) and the shop is 200 miles from my home. So, we agreed to liaise via Panasonic and I took the TV to one of Panasonic's general 'service centres', which is 2 miles from my home. Five 'working days' later I collected the repaired TV. Also, AFAIK if a TV is purchased via Amazon or Play.com, then they have a deal with the manufacturers for home visits and collect/return re repairs. For example, I bought a Samsung LCD TV from Play.com in mid-'03. After 2 years and 3 months it developed a terminal fault. I contacted Play, it gave me a tel nos at Samsung and instructions to quote various Play-related refs; 48hrs later, a Samsung engineer arrived at my home and fixed the TV (replaced a c. £350 circuit board thingy), foc.

Excellent thanks
emotion-21.gif

Cheers

6th.replicant:Arggghhhhhhh! How many more times do I have to post the following info???!!!
emotion-4.gif
In effect, all TVs/hifi/AV kit etc purchased in the UK that costs over £100 has a default six-year warranty - it's standard UK consumer rights/law blah, blah. If the TV/hifi/AV kit etc expires within six years, then it's deemed "not fit for purpose" according to UK law. The 'warranty' is actually with the retailer, not the manufacturer. If your TV develops a fault within six years, then the retailer is obliged to get it repaired - and the retailer must cover/pay the costs of parts and labour. Therefore, five-year warranties are: a) a con; b) a waste of time; c) a waste of money (you end up paying in some shape or form). For example, in Dec '09 my 2.5-year-old Pana plasma developed a terminal fault - a thin green vertical line in the middle of the screen. Consequently, it required a new panel. Cost to repair? Approx £700. I contacted Trading Standards/Consumer Direct and they advised me re the six-year rule. In short, my TV was repaired and I paid now't.
emotion-19.gif
What happens if the retailer has ceased trading since the TV was purchased? If the TV was purchased with a credit card, then the credit card co assumes the liability for repair costs (parts and labour).
emotion-2.gif
emotion-5.gif

Warranty is nothing to do with SOGA. The Sale of Goods Act provides a basic level of protection, some manufacturers offer warranty terms that are greater than these rights. If you want to act under the SOGA you go to the retailer. If your product has a manufacturers warranty that provides greater protection than the sale of goods act and you want to act under that you go to however provides that warranty.

Any guarantee given by a retailer or a manufacturer are, as the famous phrase says, "in addition to your statutory rights". The Sales of Goods Act is a separate right which often needs fighting for and is shrouded in mystery, confusion and denial as well as (to be fair) often over inflated expectations from consumers.

Of course, you've got to be sensible when paying for these "extended warranties". I'd steer away from extended warranties offered by Argos, Dixons etc. Richer Sounds......although cheap....not sure if it's worth it. There's no harm in getting a free extended warranty like John Lewis.

D

Deleted member 2457

Signed, sealed not quite delivered
emotion-21.gif
got it included.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts