TV Viewing Distances

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Top tip: When checking TVs in the shop prior to purchase, stand/sit at a distance equal to your normal viewing distance at home & check DVD, blu-ray & satellite channels for 5 minutes at least. Bear in mind that satellite feeds are often shared and therefore poor in most shops. Buy what looks best to you.

That's how I chose my KRP 500A & discarded the 600A.

Thats a good tip!, the only problem with that is the big retailers dont set up their tv's properly, feed them all with one soarce and they look absolutely cack! ( you probably bought your pioneer from an authourised dealer) and they had a dedicated viewing room, going into currys or comet and such like wont have the time or the inclination to set them up properly and thats why sales figures are down as nobody will buy anything if they look bad in store!

andy_s said:
bigboss said:
Top tip: When checking TVs in the shop prior to purchase, stand/sit at a distance equal to your normal viewing distance at home & check DVD, blu-ray & satellite channels for 5 minutes at least. Bear in mind that satellite feeds are often shared and therefore poor in most shops. Buy what looks best to you.

Thats a good tip!, the only problem with that is the big retailers dont set up their tv's properly, feed them all with one soarce and they look absolutely cack! ( you probably bought your pioneer from an authourised dealer) and they had a dedicated viewing room, going into currys or comet and such like wont have the time or the inclination to set them up properly and thats why sales figures are down as nobody will buy anything if they look bad in store!

That's true. I bought mine from Sevenoaks & had the advantage of a dedicated demo room. Sometimes, you can find a keen salesman in shops like Currys who's willing to spend time with you.

I would rely more on DVDs to compare SD quality. It's next to impossible to comment on TV tuner quality in such shops because of shared feed.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
andy_s said:
bigboss said:

That's true. I bought mine from Sevenoaks & had the advantage of a dedicated demo room. Sometimes, you can find a keen salesman in shops like Currys who's willing to spend time with you. I would rely more on DVDs to compare SD quality. It's next to impossible to comment on TV tuner quality in such shops because of shared feed.

A reputable dealer thought so, and a good way also to view standard def, (if played on a dvd player), as for your comment on keen salesmen willing to spend time with you, that as may be but more likely that his sales quota is down and has to push harder!

oh and so we dont get off topic, viewing distance from curry's- as far away as possible!!

A

Anonymous

Sorry Andrew but what's House Rule No10? We only registered a few days ago!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
bay24 said:
9 feet away from a 55 inch screen!! Do you all have sky hd?! I am sure that distance would be just bearable if all you watch is hd content but if you still watch any amount of SD content (ie freesat or freeview) it will look rubbish.

In my case, SD content is also very good. Depends on how good the upscaling is.
Ditto. I am 11 feet from my 50 inch Kuro but I an easily watch freesat SD from half that distance. When the sad day comes and the Kuro is consigned to history I will be buying a bigger screen.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
andy_s said:
The_Lhc said:
MMAudioYeovil said:

If you'd read the House Rules you'd know, wouldn't you?

OUCH!!

It's a general point, I've got no time for people who say they don't know what the House Rules are, they're right there at the bottom of the page and you get a link to them when you register (I think, you used to), which you're supposed to read before posting, so there's absolutely no excuse for that sort of bleating.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
andy_s said:
The_Lhc said:
MMAudioYeovil said:

If you'd read the House Rules you'd know, wouldn't you?

OUCH!!

It's a general point, I've got no time for people who say they don't know what the House Rules are, they're right there at the bottom of the page and you get a link to them when you register (I think, you used to), which you're supposed to read before posting, so there's absolutely no excuse for that sort of bleating.

And for that you get a gold star!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts