tv speakers

tbgjlb

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
hi

First time here and not sure if this is the right place to ask but...

I'm looking for a speaker for my samsung 6710 , no idea what I'm doing and as great as it would be to have an all singing all dancing system type setup all I really need is to move the sound from across the room closer to the seating . wired or wireless, cheap as possible, and controlled with normal tv remote .

any help in the right direction would be good.

thanks

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Probably the first thing to look at would be a soundbar. The flat screen TVs don't have much room for speakers and so, the older models especially, don't produce much sound to begin with and what sound they do produce isn't that great to listen to. That's why soundbars started appearing in the first place.

A typical soundbar setup will include a long flat "bar" that goes under the front of your TV and often a subwoofer that adds the etra "oomph" that small speakers simply can't produce. The soundbar and subwoofer usually communicate wirelessly, so you can put them anywhere in the same room (although to the front near the TV still sounds best IMHO).

Depending on your TV and soundbar, you can either link these Source > HDMI Cable > Soundbar > HDMI Cable > TV or use a digital or audio output from the back of your TV into the soundbar. This only works if you only have one input source, such as a Sky box, because your VCR or DVD or whatever will probably bypass these connections and go straight ot the back of the TV.

However, looking at your TV manual on line, I see that the TV has a digital optical output, so I would buy a soundbar with a digital optical input and use a modest fibre-optic cable (10 to 20 quid) to connect the TV to the soundbar. That way all you existing inputs to the TV will remain unchanged.

One last point, you may need to use the TV setup routine to disable your inside-the-TV speakers when you use the soundbar. Otherwise you may hear sound from both the TV speakers and the soundbar, and these usually don't synchronise that well, meaning you'll get an echo of sorts.

tbgjlb

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Kind of what i thought. The sound quality from the tv is ok I just want it closer to where I sit rather than across the room and so I thought about a way to connect an external speaker to position closer to me. If not I will look at sound bars. Any suggestions ?????

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If your TV has a headphone outlet you could try getting some PC speakers and putting those on a coffee table in front the sofa or chair or whatever. Prices range from about a tenner to "how much???!!!" You can buy these in a variety of shapes and sizes on Amazon or possibly at Currys or Maplin or wherever. Powered ones would probably work best, which will cost a little more, unfortunately. If the cable they come with isn't long enough you can buy longer ones or extension cables as well.

TRENDING THREADS