Turntable spins but doesnt play music (Akai AP-Q50)

mmichodd

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I've come to this forum seeking help with my turntable, the model is (as stated in the title) an Akai AP-Q50. I dug it out of the basement last night and plugged it into an amp and speakers that I already had in the basement (RCA RS2044). Good news is the turn table spins and all the controls work. But nothing comes out of my speakers. I wired everything correctly and I checked if the aux input of the amp worked with a wire connected to my phone, and it does. I'm really new to the whole turntable and records thing so I'm not sure what to do. Could it be the record I was playing (it was really heavily scratched) or the needle that needs replacing? It hasn't been used in a long time so I wasn't surprised to find out it wasn't working. Any help is appreciated thank you so much for your time:)

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I think you don't have a suitable "phono" input on the RCA unit. It's a micro system isn't it? The turntable needs a phono pre-amp to successfully connect it to "line" inputs.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Is the needle actually touching the record (is there actually a needle in the cartridge)? Does the TT have a phono amp built in? If not you'll need one as the aux input won't have one.

mmichodd

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah the needle is touching the record. And no it doesnt have a phono amp built in. So I think y'all just found my problem:) thanks a lot, I was worried I'd have to buy a new tt (dumb me)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Project make some cheap MM phono preamps that are rather good.

Or if, as I suspect, the OP is in North America, he/she could try Roy Hall's new $90 phono preamp, the Music Hall Mini.

music-hall-mini-phono-preamplifier.jpg

music-hall-mini-phono-preamp-back.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts