Turntable plus phono amp for headphones - Is it possible?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm in a new environment here...

My brother would like, if possible, a Project Genie turntable and a good phono-amp so that he can listen to his vinyl collection using his Grado earphones. He doesnt really want to buy an integrated amp (unless absolutley necessary)!

Can this be done? If so whats a good phono amp to buy?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I would get the Project Phono Box MKII and then the Project Head Box MkII which matches. Cheap and good quality way of getting into a vinyl/headphone system.

John Duncan

Depends on how much money he's got and how many boxes he wants - can't think off the top of my head of a phono stage with a built in headphone socket, though there's bound to be one somewhere. He could either get a Debut Phono instead of the Genie (which has the phono stage built in), and then add a headbox headphone amp, or get the genie plus a Project Phono Box and HeadBox pair - I'd normally say the Cambridge 640p but am thinking of aesthetics of the two together

Note however that the phono box and headbox are going to cost you as much again as the Genie in the first place, which may not be feasible - in which case you might be better off buying a second hand amp off eBay for fifty quid, making sure that it's got a phono stage and a headphone socket, obv.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:in which case you might be better off buying a second hand amp off eBay for fifty quid, making sure that it's got a phono stage and a headphone socket, obv.

*Cough* anything with JVC on the front pre-1984 *Cough*.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Look up Bellari VP-129 and VP-530 for a cheap valve based phono-stage with built in headphone socket and level control.

In addition the VP-530 also has a built in Analogue - Digital convertor and USB connection for ripping vinyl to a PC/Mac.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
The only phono/headphone amp I know of is the little Bellari VP129, it uses a single 12AX7 valve. I did try and track one down a couple of years ago but had no luck. Michael Fremer (I think?) reportedly liked it, if that means anything to you.

Edit: oh, chebby beat me to it!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Depends on how much money he's got and how many boxes he wants - can't think off the top of my head of a phono stage with a built in headphone socket, though there's bound to be one somewhere. He could either get a Debut Phono instead of the Genie (which has the phono stage built in), and then add a headbox headphone amp, or get the genie plus a Project Phono Box and HeadBox pair - I'd normally say the Cambridge 640p but am thinking of aesthetics of the two together

Note however that the phono box and headbox are going to cost you as much again as the Genie in the first place, which may not be feasible - in which case you might be better off buying a second hand amp off eBay for fifty quid, making sure that it's got a phono stage and a headphone socket, obv.

I would suggest a Rotel RA820 - a great little amp with a decent phono and headphone stage. Available for around £25 from your local ebay...

JohnDuncan:HiFi World Rules

Is this a reference to your current planetary inhabitance John?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts