Turntable or amp issue?

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

I now have my new turntable - Pro-Ject X2. But I may have an issue. I've noticed some distortion at higher frequencies, but also on some recording, the speaker cone flaps about a lot at below audible frequency.

This is particularly noticeable on Nils Frahm's Tripping with Nils Frahm LP. The recording seems to be mastered at quite a low volume as I need to up the amp's volume more on this.

Comparing the same recording on a 96Khz FLAC file I don't have the same issues.

So, is this rumble from the turntable, or the phono stage in my amp not being particularly good (Audiolab 6000A)?

The TT is level and on a solid oak cupboard so vibration should not be an issue. Tracking force and anti skate all set up as per the manual.

Cart is the PickIT 2M Silver MM

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Is the record completely flat? (not warped at all).
And have you double checked the setup? (cartridge alignment / tracking force etc.).
There's a slight warp to the record, but not significant. It's new.
The cartridge was factory fitted. I checked the alignment and all looks good. I redid the setup for the tracking force and that's all OK.

I've now played about with increasing the tracking force and taking it to about 21 (recommendation is 18), seems to reduce the speaker flapping almost completely, but with the trade off of more surface noise. There was a lot of static on this record too.

Tinman1952

Hi all

I now have my new turntable - Pro-Ject X2. But I may have an issue. I've noticed some distortion at higher frequencies, but also on some recording, the speaker cone flaps about a lot at below audible frequency.

This is particularly noticeable on Nils Frahm's Tripping with Nils Frahm LP. The recording seems to be mastered at quite a low volume as I need to up the amp's volume more on this.

So, is this rumble from the turntable, or the phono stage in my amp not being particularly good (Audiolab 6000A)?

The TT is level and on a solid oak cupboard so vibration should not be an issue. Tracking force and anti skate all set up as per the manual.

Acoustic feedback from speakers to turntable? The ‘solid oak cupboard’ might not be ideal. Linn for example advise against solid mounting as it increases LF feedback to the turntable. Try some isolation under your deck….🤞

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Acoustic feedback from speakers to turntable? The ‘solid oak cupboard’ might not be ideal. Linn for example advise against solid mounting as it increases LF feedback to the turntable. Try some isolation under your deck….🤞
I think this could be it. I put the stylus on the record but without it rotating. Tapped the cupboard and floor round it and it was quite audible through the speakers. The left speaker is about a foot in front of the TT.

Will invest in a wall mount shelf I think

Reactions: Gray and Tinman1952

Tinman1952

I think this could be it. I put the stylus on the record but without it rotating. Tapped the cupboard and floor round it and it was quite audible through the speakers. The left speaker is about a foot in front of the TT.

Will invest in a wall mount shelf I think
You could try some of those little IsoAcoustics mini feet under each corner. Probably cheaper than a decent shelf and no drilling! 😁

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi all

there could be several factors but as you said it does the same with some recordings this in high frequencies ,it seems the turntable isn´t the problem if i get it right and the flack files are ok. Maybe related with the amplifier and speakers ,normally that happens where there is a higher % of humidity in the air, i have more than one system working but i found some similar problem with a 79 sa-608 from pioneer and some mission speakers from 1989 and yet to find ,what made it happen .I have the speakers apart from the system and with good isolation so this doesn´t seem the problem, in my case it´s more related with the cd player when it plays higher frequencies ,the turntable a SL-1000mkII that i bought from 79 ,does make the same with some records ,normally recordings with higher frequencies that were more often to appear in 80´s production style , i just try to lower the treble and not use loudness and the problem goes away but a year ago it was all fine but this winter since there is registry was the most humid winter of all ,but in other system that problem doesn´t happen. So i´m still looking for what may caused the problem with high-frequencies in this particular system ,it´s the first time it happens to me since ever

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi all

I have just played that album via Amazon Music, Sonos Connect into my amp and Kef iq10 speakers and yes there is distortion on that album. On one track the piano sounds weird. Often the source is the problem.

Reactions: Markmaguire

Markmaguire

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I’ve got to the bottom of the issue. Apparently the Nils Frahm LP is a notoriously bad pressing. Reviews on discogs and Amazon say people have returned multiple copies before getting a decent one.
I’ve listened to it a lot on Tidal so am familiar with how it should sound and the vinyl copy was far more distorted. Practically unlistenable in places. Unfortunately the other album I listened to on the same day was Mogwai so could never be sure if the distortion was deliberate.
But anyway, turntable is now better isolated and I’ve calibrated the tracking weight with a scale and all other albums sound great.
Thanks for the input everyone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts