Turntable Dilema plus new amplifier and speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My system comprises a 1985 Linn Sondek LP12 with Basik Plus arm and Linn K9 cartridge, a NAD 3120 integrated amplifier from 1986, Celestion 3 speakers from 1989, a Marantz SA7001 CD player. I also have a BR900CD digital recorder/mixer (I play the drums which feed into this) and a pair of M-Audio Studiophile BX-8A monitors mounted on Heybrook speaker stands.

I have a dilemma. I can either buy a new Technics SL1210/origin Live RB250 arm/Dynavector DV10X5 or get my LP12 serviced and updated. I've been told the Technics combo will be miles ahead of the Linn LP12.

I want a really professional sound from vinyl; pitch stability is important as I play the drums and timing is critical. I want the sound from vinyl to sound like BBC Radio 1 or 2 FM when they used to play vinyl, and as they used Technics SP10 perhaps this is the way to go rather than the LP12? I also want the rest of my system to sound 'professional' like BBC FM sound quality on Radio 1 or 2.

Would the Technics Deck hold its value well?

Secondly I have budget of £1000 to upgrade my ageing NAD 3120 and Celestion 3 speakers; what about the Yamaha A-S500 with B&W 685 speakers? would these work well together and give me what i'm looking for?

I need speaker stands, equipment rack (to go in my living room), speaker cable too; and ideas for best sound?

Lastly has anyone ever heard the Technics SL1210/Origin Live RB250/Dynavector DV10X5 against the LP12?

Also could anyone recommend a good dealer in Southport area for the above; for Linn it has to be Chris Brooks in Warrington but for the rest of the gear?

The modified Technics would be bought from Sound HIFI in Devon. The cartridge could also be the Audio Technica moving coil AT-F3/III, but i heard the 10X5 back in 1979 on a Sansui SR222 and it sounded fabulous then.

Kind Regards,

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Haven't heard such a Technics combination turntable. Have you also considered some of the recent award winners like the Roksan Radius turntable as possible alternatives to audition?

On the amp/speakers, the Yamaha A-S500 is a great choice - Wharfedale 10.1 speakers are closest we've found to a perfect sounding match. On the stands, you can't go too far wrong with an Apollo Mezzo Soprano or Atacama Equinox hifi rack. Perhaps Atacama Nexus 6 speaker stands for the speakers, Chord Silver Screen speaker cable for the speakers.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, my son is also a drummer for which i have sacrificed many a good bit of hifi gear, the LP12 and Technics included and to many more to mention to fund his passion, pitch of course is important but as you know timming is the be all and end all to playing, rhythm, feel, touch,i dont need to tell you anymore, i tried my hand at drumming and to those who make jokes about drummers just try it, much easier to play 20 chords on a guitar than working out ghost notes paradiddles and other things, sorry here goes, LP 12 serviced, put the dynavector on it keep the amp try and find some Heybrook HB2's a decent hifi stand off ebay,van damme cable and away you go, dont get Technics over Linn and if you cant find some heybrooks get some Wharfedale XP3's for about 20 quid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts