Tri wiring loudspeakers at some point but how do i connect in the meantime?

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Look at the photo's in the link and tell me what is the best way... If there is one.

http://img403.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc00092w.jpg

Also, there seem to be not a lot of brands that makes tri wire loudspeaker cable. I had a look at the site of Supra and Atlas but they only seem to have bi wire. Should i purchase and connect a bi wire and a single wire then?

Also an intresting like that talks about bi and tri wiring...

http://www.cleverhome.com.au/automation/loudspeaker-passive-active-bi-tri-wiring.pdf

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
RCduck7:

Look at the photo's in the link and tell me what is the best way... If there is one.

http://img403.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc00092w.jpg

Also, there seem to be not a lot of brands that makes tri wire loudspeaker cable. I had a look at the site of Supra and Atlas but they only seem to have bi wire. Should i purchase and connect a bi wire and a single wire then?

Also an intresting like that talks about bi and tri wiring...

http://www.cleverhome.com.au/automation/loudspeaker-passive-active-bi-tri-wiring.pdf

It's not very clear from the photos, but I think the answer is neither of these. If you look at the info from your second link, there's a diagram that shows how. In a nutshell you need a pair of conductors all the way from your amp to EACH set of speaker terminals. You will see biwire cable has four conductors ready for the job.

A

Anonymous

Another school of thought is that instead of tri-wiring you should/could use 'jumper-cables' between the binding posts - so instead of buying a tri-wire cable you can buy a better quality single run of cable and use jumper cables between the additional terminals....

They were using this way at a recent demo I had with PMC EB1's .......

Some info on Russ Andrews website - who sell their own version of these - at varying levels - but at least it will give you the idea......

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
BigAir:

Another school of thought is that instead of tri-wiring you should/could use 'jumper-cables' between the binding posts - so instead of buying a tri-wire cable you can buy a better quality single run of cable and use jumper cables between the additional terminals....

They were using this way at a recent demo I had with PMC EB1's .......

Some info on Russ Andrews website - who sell their own version of these - at varying levels - but at least it will give you the idea......

This is what is shown in one of the pics the OP has in the first link in the first post. As you say, though, it is not tri-wiring.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

Any speaker is made to handle single wire and jumpers but giving each set of terminals his dedicated speaker wire should have benefits.

Now it's down to choosing a cable brand/type, how does anyone choose the right speakercables for his speakers?

Should i travel the country and borrow different brands of "demo" speakercables and compare them at home?

I don't see how i would otherwise pick one out. Or just order an Atlas or Supra cabel just becausse they have good reviews at What Hifi?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RCduck7:
Any speaker is made to handle single wire and jumpers but giving each set of terminals his dedicated speaker wire should have benefits.

Not necessarily. The manufacturer may have provided the split crossover option in order for people to 'tri-amp' rather than tri-wire.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Many HiFi shops have a selection of cables set aside for folk to trial at home. Phone a few you can get to and see who has such a facility available?

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
chebby:RCduck7:

Not necessarily. The manufacturer may have provided the split crossover option in order for people to 'tri-amp' rather than tri-wire.

I don't think the manufacturer provides this option. It means disconnecting the passive filter and replacing it an active crossover and multiple amps (depending on how many drivers/terminals).

Is this option absolutely a nogo if the manufaturer doesn't provide this option?

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
RCduck7:chebby:RCduck7:

I don't think the manufacturer provides this option. It means disconnecting the passive filter and replacing it an active crossover and multiple amps (depending on how many drivers/terminals).

Is this option absolutely a nogo if the manufaturer doesn't provide this option?

If it was your speakers in the photos, then you can do either. Tri-wiring means three sets of speaker leads going to one amplifier. Tri-amping means three sets of speaker leads, each going to a separate amplifier. You then need to feed each amplifier with the same signal. No need for disconnecting passive filters and adding active crossovers.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
jc.com:RCduck7:chebby:RCduck7:

If it was your speakers in the photos, then you can do either. Tri-wiring means three sets of speaker leads going to one amplifier. Tri-amping means three sets of speaker leads, each going to a separate amplifier. You then need to feed each amplifier with the same signal. No need for disconnecting passive filters and adding active crossovers.

I'll stick with the tri wiring, thanks. I have a Dussnun v8i amp that is about 50 by 50cm and weighing 42kgs.

I don't see me getting 3 of these amps!! What rack would that hold anyway?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts