Trevor79 are you out there??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,I'm planning to get my attic converted to a dedicated home cinema room.I'm working closley with the builders to get speaker cables etc installed,do you (or anyone else) have any advice regarding electrical wiring?Obviously this isn't something i can do myself so I'll be passing instruction on to the sparky.
I want to take advantage of this unique opportunity..

A

Anonymous

Morning, just caught your post!

First of all I am not a qualified electrician, so with that disclamer here is what I would have done myself.

Starting with a clean slate, lovely!

Have done lots of posts on this subject so to recap....

Start at the beginning, which is at the meter. This is the main (true Earth) point for your supply, make sure it is perfect. Usually it won't have been touched since the house was built and will be heavily oxidised. Check and clean the cross bonding links.

Ditto at the consumer unit.

Now the best way is to run a 40A sheilded wire spur off the meter up into the loft and fit a dedicated CU (one without a RCD, but with an isolator switch. (better current flow, gives music better rhythm and timing). Fit 20A MCB's to unit. Now the hard bit, go out and buy a couple of those BT transformers I keep going on about, the bigger the VA rating the better.
If you can fit the BT units hidden away and sited next to the C Unit that's ideal. Plan your layout of 13A sockets for the equipment and run the individual spurs from the BT units to them.

If you do this you will not pick up much (if any) RFI so expensive mains leads make no difference I have found.

Of course keep all speaker/signal cables well apart from the power supply leads. If running speaker cables in walls/under floors use decent diameter plastic trunking to run it through.

Try to use MCB's rather than 13A fuses where ever possible as fuses strangle the sound as they are a bottleneck to the speed of current flow demands made.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speedy reply and sound advice Trev.I presume the MCB's are as safe as normal standard fuses,would this affect contents insurance?

Do you know where the BT transformers can be purchased?

I'm still a couple of months away from beginning the project,but I will talk with the electrician next week.

Thanks again mate..

TRENDING THREADS