Trends Audio UD-10.1 USB Audio Converter and DacMagic - Should I have both in my Mac system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A little embarrassed about this questions.

Now using Mac as my only music source. I have invested in this Trends Audio box and the sound is better, no doubt. However, I am confused about what the box is doing and what it actually is? I thought it was an improved DAC and soundcard. However, looking around websites / forums it appears most use it as an external soundcard only and have a seperate DAC as well (e.g. DacMagic).

Is this right? For an improved mac-sourced sound would you recommend a DAC on top of my Trends Audio box?

System: Mac laptop, Exposure intergrated amp, Trends Audio box , B&W

Much obliged.

Lawrie

A

Anonymous

Lawrie,

A DacMagic would do exactly the same as you are currently doing with the Trends box. That is it also can plug into your computer using USB and output analogue signals to your amp. The only reason to change is if you think a DacMagic would offer better sound than you are currently getting.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response Neon K.

Not in a position to replace one DAC with another as yet, despite the rave reviews of the DacMagic. Not doubting your wisdom but why would Trends put the following on their site when trying to sell the Trends box as a DAC in its own right?

"Trends UD-10.1 upgrades your PC/Mac to be a hi-end audio source. Thanks
to the excellent power supply handling, the high accuracy clock and the
sophisticated digital output circuit, the Trends UD-10.1 makes your
PC/Mac to behave as a high-end CD transport to work with an external
DAC".

stevenbee

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Just reading the quoted claim, I think you might have misunderstood some pretty shoddy English...!

Could it be that they mean, "Buy our gizmo, to add to your PC/Mac, and this combination will behave like the combination of a high-end CD tansport and external DAC"?

A

Anonymous

Lawrie1: Thanks for the response Neon K.

Not in a position to replace one DAC with another as yet, despite the rave reviews of the DacMagic. Not doubting your wisdom but why would Trends put the following on their site when trying to sell the Trends box as a DAC in its own right?

"Trends UD-10.1 upgrades your PC/Mac to be a hi-end audio source. Thanks to the excellent power supply handling, the high accuracy clock and the sophisticated digital output circuit, the Trends UD-10.1 makes your PC/Mac to behave as a high-end CD transport to work with an external DAC".

Lawrie,

They are selling it as a DAC, but they are also selling it as a USB->Digital converter for those with high-end Amps or DACs that do not have a USB input of their own - I think they are their own enemy here though all they are trying to do is covering all the bases. Maybe they are acknowleding that other DACs may be better, and that would be a fair assessment

You would use this converter if you wish to use a DAC (or AV amp with optical/coaxial only) that does not itself have a USB input. External DACs without USB input could then use this Trends box to convert USB to optical/CoAXial SPDIF.

The Cambridge DAC you mention has a USB input, thus the Trends box would not be needed, this will be the case with most DACs going forward.

For now I think you are fine with what you have - however do audition other DACs in the future and decide for yourself.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
This is from Trends own site regarding the UD-10.1

These are the four main uses for the Trends USB Audio Converter.

1. Audiophile USB Transport (provide a digital interface to connect to your own DAC)
2. External USB sound card for PC and Mac
3. PC/Mac USB Headphone Amplifier
4. PC/Mac USB DAC

Seems fairly clear cut to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts