towers vs bookshelves

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:the_lhc:Sizzers:IMO the PW is a wind up.
PW?

PW = Post Writer

Oh, I think most people use "OP" - Original Poster.

My opinion is based around why everything suggested seems automatically rejected and has to be justified (on a LOT of posts). I get suspicious after a while!

I see what you're saying but if it's a wind-up I can't really see what the OP is trying to achieve. It's not causing a flame war or anything like that.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:Sizzers:the_lhc:Sizzers:IMO the PW is a wind up.
PW?

PW = Post Writer

Oh, I think most people use "OP" - Original Poster.

My opinion is based around why everything suggested seems automatically rejected and has to be justified (on a LOT of posts). I get suspicious after a while!

I see what you're saying but if it's a wind-up I can't really see what the OP is trying to achieve. It's not causing a flame war or anything like that.

It's nothing personal, and it looks a nice pad!

Not my place, but apart from carpeting, sofa, etc., I would get some quality office partition stands on wheels (for mobility) to cut out the glass. Would be looking at a Solo Mini for my base unit then start auditioning the speakers.

As much as I'd love that kind of money to play around with on kit it's just not going to fulfill itself in that kind of environment IMO.

A

Anonymous

Hi all. First of all, thank you very much for your many replies and many suggestions. I apologize if it sounds like I've not been willing to take any of the advice - and yes, re-reading the posts, it does sound very much like that.

In short, I just want my cake and to eat it too. A speaker that looks really nice, blends in with the decor, and sounds great too.

It's difficult to believe there is truly no way out other than either compromised sound, or just getting a micro hi-fi, or another ipod dock to fill my living space with music. Hence the many posts - I needed to see if approaching it from different angles would provide a way out.

I would like you to know I don't deliberately seek to rebut every piece of advice (well, maybe other than wanting to not face my neighbour's unit!).

1) I can't change the location of the walls and glass windows. I can't even convert the full glass windows into wall if I wanted to. Building regulations. That said, I wasn't ignoring your advice to put soft things and sofa around. My question was really more fundamental - is it the layout of the room (the shape of the room, where the walkway is, where the windows are etc) that will result in my having to compromise in sound? because if it is, then really, it is hopeless because I will never get good sound unless I sell the place and buy another. If it's just soft furnishings, that's fixable.

2) And yes, in Singapore, it's really frustrating to shop for systems because vendors

a) do NOT offer home auditions - one of them specifically told me so today that all the shops do NOT offer home auditions unless one is a regular customer, which of course I'm not, and

b) carry DIFFERENT brands. The Spendor showroom carries ONLY Sugden, Densen and an old Denon AVR. The KEF showroom carries ONLY Pioneer and NAD. The shop that carries Tannoys carries the whole lot of Marantz, Denon, Rotel, Cyrus, etc, but not the Sugden and Densen amps being demo-ed at Dynaudio and Spendor

c) assume you know everything there is to know about audio when you go in to enquire

So yes, it's been frustrating. But really, if it's about the shape of my space and where the walls and windows are that no amount of soft furnishing will help, I'll just give up an buy that micro hi-fi or a 2nd hand set within $1,000 and see if I can make small improvements to the sound through the months and years :)

Maybe that's all I really needed to know. Sorry to be sending everyone around in circles.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
You're not sending people around in circles and looking at your (very nice!) pad, I do appreciate your problems.

The thing is, the way it's all set up (which is not in any way your fault), for the kind of money you're looking to spend I think you're going to be bitterly disappointed.

The problem is that whatever you hear in a demo room is in no way going to be reproduced in your apartment. Maybe things work differently over there but for the kind of money you're looking to spend, over here there are dealers who would be queuing up to offer you a home demo.

I have a very compromised listening room myself which is why I didn't go for a "full" hi-fi (but that may be changing soon !), and I am genuinely sorry that nobody will offer you a home demo (GRRR!)

TRENDING THREADS