Tower Speakers In Canada

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
My son has moved to Vancouver from the UK and has taken his HiFi with him. After buying a transformer the Marantz PM6005 works fine but the turntable needed a 110v motors as it was not running at the correct speed. He wants to upgrade his speakers as he has my old Tannoy Mercury 2s and wants to get a better bass response. I recommened tower speakers but it seems that Canada does not have the same manufacturers as we have in the UK and he is finding it difficult to work out which ones to buy. It seems that they don't have a fine publication like What HiFi out there either.

He is looking to spend about $1000 Canadian. They seem to have Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 and 10.7s for around that price does anyone know if they are any good? Or could someone recommend a better alternative?

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm from western Canada tell him to go to Canuck audio mart on the web. I bet he'll find something used better he could find buying new. There is always proac's kef's maybe even some totem's have fun searching.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mike, I've just looked at the website. There are some really good deals, thank you so much for the tip. I've passed on the details to him.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ayreborn Audio Video (near Vancouver) has a clearance sale:

Diamond 10.6 CAD 749.00 Diamond 10.7 CAD 999.00

Monitor Audio MA BX5 CAD 599.00 MA BX6 CAD 799.00

Rega RS5 CAD1,299.00

All + 12% tax. I have no affiliaation with them but purchased a pair of 10.1 a few years ago and was happy with their service.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the information. I think my son has been to this shop but was not sure which speakers to buy as he was not familiar with the brands, except Wharfedale. I will pass on your advice, is there any particular one you would recommend?

TrevC

AntAxon said:
Thank you for the information. I think my son has been to this shop but was not sure which speakers to buy as he was not familiar with the brands, except Wharfedale. I will pass on your advice, is there any particular one you would recommend?

The record deck would probably be fine if the pulley was replaced. Unfortunately Canada has 60Hz mains.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, my last floor standing speaker was some 25 years ago. All three brands are generally considered decent. Google wood probably bring you closer to the right choice than I could.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts