toshiba xde500 vs sony bdp350 upscaling

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I have had the Panasonic '35 for around a month, which is arguably very slightly better than the Sony '350. I find it an excellent Blu-ray player, and it also upscales standard def DVDs very well.

However, yesterday morning I bought the Toshiba XDE500. And, I have to report, it is significantly better with DVDs than my Pana '35; quite awesome in fact. (I am now perplexed as to why the Toshiba did not win an award in the recent award for under £200 DVD player).

So, I will now use my Pana '35 for Blu-ray discs, but DVD duties will fall to the mighty Toshiba.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

WOW i wonder what the WHF team have to say about this?? How much is the Toshiba and where did u get it from? I might need to get one for my DVD library cos on my BDP S350 my dvds dont look great to be honest!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We reviewed the Toshiba some months back, and loved it ( read the review here), but we felt the £100 Onkyo was even better.

I'd say the really good Blu-ray player DVD upscaling starts at @£300+ - recent firmware tweaks to the PS3 have improved its DVD upscaling, for instance.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I bought the Toshiba from Amazon - great service as usual, and free delivery. It cost some £94.

And with it's special detail enhancing technology, I find it hard to believe that an "ordinary" upscaling player such as the Onkyo 406 can be as good as the Toshiba, (sorry, Clare).

A

Anonymous

The toshiba is an ordinary upscaling player really just becouse they made a big fuss over promoting it the PS3 uses the cell chip to upscale too....what do you think the onkyo does? upscale using a casio digital watch proccesor?

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I have a number of quality "ordinary" upscaling DVD players (pretty much one for each room, sadly!) and I can tell you that the Toshiba is significantly better than all of them.

A

Anonymous

Im not saying the tosh isnt good but unless youve seen the onkyo how can you say??? Ive not seen the tosh myself but is it better than an ordinary upscaling denon 2930 or 3930??

A

Anonymous

How much does the Denon 2930 or 3930 cost? Unless I'm mistaken I don't think they cost anywhere in the region of £94.

Updated my PS3 to latest version and upscaling still isn't great, neither is my panny BD30.

Would be interested to know how much better Pioneer DV LX50 is compared to the Toshiba as I've seen the Pioneer for £250 and has has excellent reviews.

A

Anonymous

i know they cost a load more but i mererly pointing the toshiba isnt that revolutionary it is in fact an ordinary upscailer regardless of what toshiba say! im sure its very good for the money but it doesnt use supernatural magical powers to upscale a dvd

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify, in terms of pure picture quality, do you feel the Onkyo is better than the Toshiba?

What sort of improvement in PQ could I expect between the Onkyo compared to Pioneer's LX50?

A

Anonymous

I went and bought one yesterday. I've watched a few DVDs and must say that I am pleased with it. The difference between my Sony BDP350 and this is relatively small.

After reading many comments about the player, I was expected the Sharp settings to be very pronounced, possibly making the image look artificial, but after watch a few discs, the effect is quite subtle.

It sounds like a lot of people have made negative comments on this player, without seeing it action. As long as you don't expect blu-ray quality from it, I think you would be pleased with the picture and sound.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
mrrussell37 wrote: I went and bought one yesterday. I've watched a few DVDs and must say that I am pleased with it. The difference between my Sony BDP350 and this is relatively small. After reading many comments about the player, I was expected the Sharp settings to be very pronounced, possibly making the image look artificial, but after watch a few discs, the effect is quite subtle. It sounds like a lot of people have made negative comments on this player, without seeing it action. As long as you don't expect blu-ray quality from it, I think you would be pleased with the picture and sound.

Exactly. Toshiba don't claim the sound & vision will be up to Blu-ray quality, but for standard def DVD playback this is a surprisingly superb performer.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hunnyy:

mrrussell37 wrote: I went and bought one yesterday. I've watched a few DVDs and must say that I am pleased with it. The difference between my Sony BDP350 and this is relatively small. After reading many comments about the player, I was expected the Sharp settings to be very pronounced, possibly making the image look artificial, but after watch a few discs, the effect is quite subtle. It sounds like a lot of people have made negative comments on this player, without seeing it action. As long as you don't expect blu-ray quality from it, I think you would be pleased with the picture and sound.

Exactly. Toshiba don't claim the sound & vision will be up to Blu-ray quality, but for standard def DVD playback this is a surprisingly superb performer.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't comparing the Tosh dvd quality to the Sony BD quality. I have the S550 from Sony and it upscales excellently - a smidge better than my old Denon DVD1940 - which is better than the Tosh and Onkyo. I do think that some people don't have the settings right because I would be very surprised if a fairly budget upscaler could beat, let alone by a distance the upscaling on the S350.

A

Anonymous

Ok so you say the Tosh dvd quality is better, but are you talking about when viewed on large 40" + screens. Would there be a substantial difference in picture quality when compared dvd upscaling between a Toshiba XDE500 and a Sony bdp-s350 on a good quality (eg panny lzd85) 32" lcd tv?

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
My Toshiba is connected to a 50" Samsung plasma TV, and my guess is that you'll still see a difference on a 32" LCD screen, even if not by as much.

We all have different budgets, but I took the view that at £94 I'd take a chance on buying the Toshiba and using it as well as my Panasonic '35, and can only say that I was surprised and delighted at how good it is.

A

Anonymous

I have now have several issues with the XDE500.

It makes a beeping noise, whilst off. I thought I left my alarm clock on upstairs! (this has been reported on another forum). This quite faint, but annoying nonetheless.

Several times whilst watching a disc, about 3 inches of the left-hand part of the picture appears on the right-hand side of the screen.

I've tried taking back to the retailer, but they say I have to contact Toshiba. Any advice on trying to get a refund would be appreciated. Does anyone know if am entitled to a refund?

Thanks

Mark

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
If it's faulty within the first 6 months, then it is considered to be faulty at delivery, (you don't have to prove it). Under the Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to a repair or replacement, at no cost, (even for returning the device), or inconvenience to yourself. This contract is with the retailer, and is separate to the warranty.

Many retailers seem not to know or choose to ignore this act, but they are all bound by it as it is law, no matter what they put in their own terms and conditions. If their T&Cs contradict the Sale of Goods Act they are illegal in themselves.

I have been down this road and did eventually get somewhere, but it can involve some time and effort, depending on the retailer, and how much they value their reputation.

If you don;t get anywhere and you're desparate, consumer advice and trading standards can also help and advise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts