Toshiba L750-170 Laptop Intel Core i5 - 2430M, 6GB, 750GB £469.99

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Toshiba-L750-170-Laptop/id-TOS-COM-L750_170-BK

Not actually saying this is a hot deal, more asking, is it a hot deal?

Looking for reliable laptop, with good memory and hard drive, decent processor and connectivity for as cheap as possible.

This seems to fit the bill, just not sure the 2 x usb 2.0 is good enough, as 3.0 seems to be what people want now.

Will be used for general use, web browsing, music storage etc. no gaming.

Any opinions?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Looks okay, no idea if Toshiba still make good laptops, but they were certainly good back in the old days when I knew about these sorts of things!

Are you intending to plug in any devices which will take advantage of the extra speed USB 3.0 gives you? If no, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

professorhat said:
Are you intending to plug in any devices which will take advantage of the extra speed USB 3.0 gives you?

Thanks for your reply.

I think 2.0 would be fine for us at the moment, but future wise, I'm not sure.

What devices/uses are people using the extra speed for?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I have had three consecutive Toshiba laptops and on the whole ,they have been very reliable (over a long period obviously).The only thing I have come across to their disadvantage,and I do not know how far across the range it goes,is that the battery charge jack is part of the motherboard and if you pull it too often at an angle ,it becomes an expensive repair. Bought the last one from JL to get the two year warranty and just shown a bit more respect to it (and don't let the kids have it,picking it up by the screen)

Of course a faster laptop may encourage you to reply more rapidly on football threads. ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've vowed not to get involved with football threads on this forum, and I do mean it, but I'm weak.
grin.gif

Thanks for your info on the Toshibas.

Do you know what usb 3.0 would mainly be used for?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

That's what I thought, but not being over competent with computers, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your help.

Messiah

I know it states 2 USB but from what I can see there is one on the left and 2 on the right. This is the same as my Toshiba laptop.

More info HERE

If you look on You Tube there are videos of the laptop and it looks like 3 USB.

As for performance I am happy with mine but it is bundled with loads of Toshiba programmes that may never be used. Still with 750gb hard drive this should not be an issue.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
professorhat said:
Are you intending to plug in any devices which will take advantage of the extra speed USB 3.0 gives you?

Thanks for your reply.

I think 2.0 would be fine for us at the moment, but future wise, I'm not sure.

What devices/uses are people using the extra speed for?

As mentioned, the main one I can think of at the moment would be for file transfer to USB disks (so faster backup). Having said that, as technologies appear, companies will find ways to use them, but until USB 3.0 is mainstream (2-3 years minimum), virtually all devices will have backwards compatability, so will still work on USB 2.0, just slower.

If you can find a similar spec machine from a reputable brand for not much more cash with 3.0 slots, then it's a no brainer, but I wouldn't spend a fortune on it. PCs are pretty disposable items these days (much more than they used to be at any rate), and you may find you'll want a new one in 3 or 4 years time anyway to keep up with the latest trends.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

professorhat said:
If this is literally just for web browsing and music playback, then this will probably fit the bill. Slower processor, not as much RAM, smaller hard disk but then £170 cheaper.

Thanks professorhat, the Fijitsu is definitely worth considering at that price, but I am still leaning towards the Toshiba.

Being self-employed, I'm still waiting to be paid by a couple of people, but when I do, I can hopefully still get one at that price.

Thanks again for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts