Top Notch Video Streaming Device in the Market

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
My trusted old Apple TV died and now I am looking for a new device to stream video contents from my NAS to TV, I have the following requirements

1. Should support all format at least Divx, Mp4 (with DD5.1), MKV, Flac

2. Should be able to do good upscaling of SD contents.

3. Small foot print.

I am wondering if I should buy new smaller AppleTV and install xbmc on it or new Blueray player from the likes of Sony and Panasonic, or should explore other options like Lacie Lacinema or Western Digital or AC Ryan.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you can wait a few weeks, we've compared the Apple TV to seven other video streamers in a big Group Test for our next issue (posted out to subscribers on 26th May; in shops/available to download by 2nd June).

The test line-up:

Apple TV

Boxee Box

Digital Stream DPS-1000

LG ST600

Netgear NeoTV 550

Sony SMP-N100

Western Digital WD TV Live Hub

Xtreamer iXtreamer

The review of each of the above pays close attention to format supprt as well as performance.

It's been a fascinating test, and the results may surprise.....

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare, this is great news. I can wait for few weeks as I have a PS3 as well which I can use for streaming, only issue is I need to move it to bedroom every now and then.

Looking at your comment it sounds like you already know the winner, I am missing Popcorn hour which is supposed to be very good in video streaming, I am also wondering if you have compared the video quality of these video streamers with likes of PS3 or BD players which now a days also do streaming and support DLNA etc.

Looking at cost of these I am wondering how the test is arranged as some devices like xtreamer and boxee cost 3 times of others, also if new generation BD players which also costs in the region of 150-250k and have higher specs in video processing chips etc is it woth going for these standalone video streamers?

A

Anonymous

I've been looking into this too, both for my current set up and my new set up for my new house.

I looked at Apple TV, but saw it as a bit restrictive for what I would want.

I really liked the Logitech Revue, but it is still US only for the time being. For me it looked to be a market leading product. Anyone else seen it?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
NigelF said:
I am wondering if I should buy new smaller AppleTV and install xbmc on it or new Blueray player from the likes of Sony and Panasonic, or should explore other options like Lacie Lacinema or Western Digital or AC Ryan.

AppleTV 2 with XBMC is superb!!!

But I'd still wait the review...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
NigelF said:
Thanks Clare, this is great news. I can wait for few weeks as I have a PS3 as well which I can use for streaming, only issue is I need to move it to bedroom every now and then.

Looking at your comment it sounds like you already know the winner, I am missing Popcorn hour which is supposed to be very good in video streaming, I am also wondering if you have compared the video quality of these video streamers with likes of PS3 or BD players which now a days also do streaming and support DLNA etc.

Looking at cost of these I am wondering how the test is arranged as some devices like xtreamer and boxee cost 3 times of others, also if new generation BD players which also costs in the region of 150-250k and have higher specs in video processing chips etc is it woth going for these standalone video streamers?

We have reviewed everything comparatively, but obviously taken cost into account. And yes, we've also considered the abilities of current BD players etc too. It's been a fascinating experience - and we've made it our cover story for the next issue.

Re Popcorn Hour being missed - I know it was considered, but think we couldn't get our hands on the latest box for this specific test.

A

Anonymous

No popcorn hour in the reviews? I'd of thought it would have been a potential winner

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts