and you dont get the same kick any more,
do you think theres to much dross on the market
that sounds awful, as most of the music ive bought
in the last five years is unlistenable to bright
and compressed aargh.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I love browsing LPs in my local second hand record shop and experiencing the triumph of finding something in especially good condition that is maybe over 40 years old. I speculate/daydream about previous owners and the systems they played it on.

I love watching, mesmerised, as the album is Keith Monks cleaned on both sides (bit like watching a skilled window cleaner through plate glass as that the vacuum removes all traces of fluid and dirt). I love walking off with my purchases knowing I am possibly the only person in town - just at that moment - with newly purchased LPs in a carrier bag.

I also love the convenience of ordering a CD from amazon and knowing it will arrive the next morning with the post. (Waiting for one now actually.)

I enjoy searching for music on last.fm and iTunes and youtube and the luxury of being able to sample before buying, expanding my musical tastes, and encountering stuff I never knew I would like before then being able to own it with the click a mouse.

I even still enjoy the hustle and bustle of a busy HMV sometimes and buy CDs and DVDs that way too despite it's limitations.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
dvdaudio:
do you think it has become to easy to obtain the music you listen to
and the fun of buying and playing your music has gone
maybe as like me you now have to much music to choose from
and you dont get the same kick any more,
do you think theres to much dross on the market
that sounds awful, as most of the music ive bought
in the last five years is unlistenable to bright
and compressed aargh.

Posts in blank verse now - this forum is going up in the world...
emotion-4.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:do you think theres to much dross on the market....

Yes and there always has been.

I remember a time when when almost every other LP was a thin wobbly creation of recycled vinyl (with bits of old labels still detectable in the pressing) and the mixing and recording was the end result of some drugged-up 'mates of the band' let loose on multi-track mixing desks they had no training to operate!

A well-recorded, well mixed, well pressed LP, on non-recycled vinyl was relatively uncommon back in the bad old days of the 1970s.

I have even seen an old documentary of some record mastering/pressing plant where everyone seemed to be smoking and leaving their fags and ash all over the machinery including the guy cutting the master! Not a hair net in sight.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I do find sometimes I am not in the mood for anything I have in my collection, but tanks to a recent upgrade I am shuffling through CD's with a passion sorting out albums I have not listened to in years.

I do agree finding new well recorded material can be a chore but it makes it oh so enjoyable when you do find one and first put it in the deck. Last FM is a great resource as funnily enough is good old radio 2 they showcase some excellent new talent, as my Collection is relatively small I am still finding albums and artists sometimes decades old that are new to me.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I like recommendation I head recently. It was along the lines of

"Don't play anything in your current collection for a whole month, borrow as many CDs as the library will let you, search out new music on sites like LastFM and Spotify, listen to radio programmes covering musical genres you don't usually touch....see if that doesn't change your musical tastes and turn up new artists you like".

I seem to have about the most diverse tastes of any body I know. Now I think I need to go back to my roots and rediscover all that prog, hippy and rock stuff that I've had for 20 years with fresh ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts