admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Marantz PM6003, CD6003 ( rarely used ), cambridge audio dacmagic, MBP as main AAC or MP3 source, B&W 605s, Atacama equinox nexus 7s. Grado SR-80s and Graham Slee Novo Headphone amp.

It sounds lovely with female vocals ( Horse 'Somebody', Alanis Morissette 'Bonus track' ) and does very precise percussion ( Rush, Eurythmics ) and great strings ( Nigel Kennedy )…however..I think its a little cold?

Any ideas?

-Rab

covenant:

Marantz PM6003, CD6003 ( rarely used ), cambridge audio dacmagic, MBP as main AAC or MP3 source, B&W 605s, Atacama equinox nexus 7s. Grado SR-80s and Graham Slee Novo Headphone amp.

It sounds lovely with female vocals ( Horse 'Somebody', Alanis Morissette 'Bonus track' ) and does very precise percussion ( Rush, Eurythmics ) and great strings ( Nigel Kennedy ).however..I think its a little cold?

Any ideas?

-Rab

I have asked this so many times, but what is your room acoustics like? Believe me, what you have around your hi-fi (or don't, as the case may be) really does make a difference.

T

the record spot

Move your speakers around a little, try toeing them out a little (not much, a few degrees), this can work very well in taming a harsh treble. Costs nothing too and one of the most important areas in hifi.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I take it you probably tried taking the DM out of the system. Some people actually described it as 'warm', I'm not one of them. I think it's great vfm but has the normal, fairly upfront sound of non-expensive uebersamplers. Same with the Marantzes (probably, as I have not heard them). The usual budget, midrange dominated sound which, whilst I'm sure is again very good for the price, but ultimately lacks solidity, power and control. I may well be wrong but I doubt it.

I would either buy a more expensive amplifier or add a small, fast sub which will balance things nicely though it won't address some of the budgetary issues. As always, my opinion only.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the replies.. i'm currently in a flat ( pending divorce and sale of house) with laminate flooring and not much furniture.so the acoustics aren't great!

my old marantz PM 66-SE sounded much better!

I think it may be the DACMagic.but I do love the precision on percussion it introduces...so perhaps a warmer amp is the solution.

-Rab

covenant:

thanks for the replies.. i'm currently in a flat ( pending divorce and sale of house) with laminate flooring and not much furniture.so the acoustics aren't great!

my old marantz PM 66-SE sounded much better!

I think it may be the DACMagic.but I do love the precision on percussion it introduces...so perhaps a warmer amp is the solution.

-Rab

In that case a couple of rugs bought from a market or any of the auction sites wouldn't go amiss.

A

Anonymous

Personally, I find the marantz pair extremely light and bright, nothing like even my CA 540A and 540C. Maybe try a warmer amp or warmer interconnects?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts