Tonearms

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello chums *smile*

As we all know, various tonearm options are available, but what I'd like to know is, what are the benefits/drawbacks of the options available? I'm talking S shaped/straight and different lengths. Just in general terms please, cos I ain't the brightest *blush*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The S shaped ones tend to be quite similar to a letter S, the short ones tend to always be shorter than the long ones.

I hope that's helped. *biggrin*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The S shaped ones tend to be quite similar to a letter S, the short ones tend to always be shorter than the long ones.

I hope that's helped. *biggrin*

Well I never! It's all become much clearer, quite a revelation! *biggrin* Thanks for that, you're now my favourite
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I know Freddy! I know! I really should start charging for my advice. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Indeed, but hang on to your day job, just for the time being *biggrin*

You say that, but I'm self-employed, and a little quiet at the moment, so I think this is an avenue of resource I really should investigate.

Give me your address? I have an invoice for you.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Indeed, but hang on to your day job, just for the time being *biggrin*

You say that, but I'm self-employed, and a little quiet at the moment, so I think this is an avenue of resource I really should investigate.

Give me your address? I have an invoice for you.

Give you my address? You're having a laugh aren't you? I'd probably get all kinds weird things of a sexual nature delivered!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Give you my address? You're having a laugh aren't you? I'd probably get all kinds weird things of a sexual nature delivered!

What are you trying to say? *wink*

Give me an 'S', no really I mean straight.

Tonearm design is a black art. The straight tubes are easier to manufacture but firms like Rega started out with s-shaped ones. There are thoughts that 12 inch arms are better for tracking but generally much more expensive and meant having a large T to mount them on. Nine inch arms are more convenient as it means you can decrease the size of the deck.

I got confused and so went middle of the road with a ten inch one. :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:

Tonearm design is a black art. The straight tubes are easier to manufacture but firms like Rega started out with some-shaped ones. There are thoughts that 12 inch arms are better for tracking but generally much more expensive and meant having a large T to mount them on. Nine inch arms are more convenient as it means you can decrease the size of the deck.

Thanks Al. What issues are there with mounting a ten-incher? (Ooh er). I'm assuming that one needs to select an appropriate turntable?

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:

Tonearm design is a black art. The straight tubes are easier to manufacture but firms like Rega started out with some-shaped ones. There are thoughts that 12 inch arms are better for tracking but generally much more expensive and meant having a large T to mount them on. Nine inch arms are more convenient as it means you can decrease the size of the deck.

Thanks Al. What issues are there with mounting a ten-incher? (Ooh er). I'm assuming that one needs to select an appropriate turntable?

Yep, most can only take a nine incher ( ooh err missus). Some are designed to take a twelve inch or even larger on. The good people that designed my deck built it so that any length arm could be fitted.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:

Yep, most can only take a nine incher ( ooh err missus). Some are designed to take a twelve inch or even larger on. The good people that designed my deck built it so that any length arm could be fitted.

So, going on from that, will a Michell accept a 10" tonearm? If so, what would be a good one (not too expensive) to look at? And in your opinion, are they worth the outlay?

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:

So, going on from that, will a Michell accept a 10" tonearm? If so, what would be a good one (not too expensive) to look at? And in your opinion, are they worth the outlay?

Oh, such levity. :)

On a serious note I don't think the Michell turntables can take a ten incher. They don't have the recepticle for it. It's all to do with the mounting.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Bet you didn't envisage your post turning into a Finbarr Saunders story from Viz, did you Freddy? *boredom*

latest

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts